Chapter Nineteen

Taylor stood on the sidewalk, leaning against the side of the building as he finished his cigarette before going inside to grab his morning coffee. An autumn breeze picked up and he watched as an old dis-guarded Starbucks napkin flew through the air. He tucked a piece of his windblown hair behind his ear before throwing his cigarette butt to the ground. Just as he was peeling himself off of the side of the wall, the door to the coffee shop flew open and a man and woman, hands and mouths all over each other, came stumbling outside.

The woman pinned the man against the side of the wall, running her hands down his chest as she kissed him. Taylor began to feel awkward and was about to sneak away, until the woman moved her mouth from the man's lips and on to his neck and Taylor got a glimpse of his face. It was his brother. Zac. With...Kate. What the hell? Taylor backed himself further into the shadows, pressing his body more firmly against the wall and gaped as his brother grabbed his ex girlfriends hand and began pulling her away down the sidewalk.

When they were far enough away, Taylor stepped forward and took a staggering breath, watching them disappear around a corner. What the hell did he just witness? What in the sweet fuck was Zac doing? He knew he had been upset about her being in Maine with Adam, but as far as he knew, he and Abby were still together. How could he do that to her? What was he thinking? Suddenly Taylor was feeling really conflicted. Abby was his friend - he loved her like one of his own sisters. Yet, Zac was his brother - and he should have his back and keep his secrets.

Heaving a sigh, he dug his phone out of his pocket and dialed Kelly's phone number. This was not a conversation he wanted to have with his wife, especially since the victim here was her best friend, but he needed to talk to her.

***

Kate pulled Zac's shirt over his head as soon as the door closed behind them. Smirking, she shoved Zac down on to her couch and quickly straddled him, fumbling with the button on his jeans as she kissed his neck.

"So, what did the skank do to piss you off this time?" Kate giggled as she tugged on his jeans, pulling them down below his waist.

"Excuse me?"

"I still know lots of people in Tulsa, Zachary. I know how much she's gotten around since she moved there."

"She doesn't get around...it's - she's not like that."

Kate shrugged, pulling her own dress over her head, leaving her in just her bra and panties. They were white cotton, nothing like the silky black things Abby normally wore. She kissed his mouth again, running her hands down his bare chest and making her way back down to his lap.

"If that's the case, then why are you here with me?"

She reached into his boxers, and that's when Zac realized he wasn't even hard. Upon noticing this, Kate frowned slightly and wrapped her hand around him, determined to resolve the problem. As soon as her hands touched him there, he sucked in a breath, pulling away from her and turning his head when she tried to kiss him again.

"What's wrong?"

"You can't....you can't talk about her like that."

"Well it's true, isn't it? I bet she cheated on you, didn't she?"

Zac didn't respond, only avoided making eye contact with Kate. This only confirmed her suspicions.

"Well then, let's give her what she deserves." She grinned, reaching her hand inside his boxers once more.

"Don't touch me!" Zac spat, standing quickly and causing Kate to nearly fall to the floor.

"What's your problem?" She asked, making a face as she stood.