Chapter Twenty-Two

After a restless night on an uncomfortable wooden chair, Zac woke up to discover that Abigail was still sleeping heavily in his hotel room bed. He stood, stretching some before making his way toward her, peeking over the side of the bed to make sure she was actually still breathing before shuffling off toward the bathroom to take a shower.

Though he didn't have a drop of alcohol in his system, the emotions from the night before wore heavy on him and he was sure he felt just as miserable as Abby would once she awoke to the terrible hangover he knew she was going to have. He hoped that a hot shower would help wash away the negativity that consumed him, but after standing under the steamy hot water for close to twenty minutes, he accepted the fact that it was useless to even try.

Shutting the water off with a sigh, he wrapped a towel around his waist and stopped at the sink to brush his teeth and apply deodorant. He frowned at his reflection in the mirror as he attempted to make himself look acceptable. He had massive bags under his eyes and he was sure he had developed a few wrinkles over the past few weeks that had never been there before. He was so stressed out, the constant ball of worry in his stomach was starting to show physical effects. It was times like this that he really understood the value of makeup and why so many women didn't leave home without it.

When he finally emerged from the bathroom, he discovered that his cell phone was ringing. Cringing as he noticed Abby stirring on the bed, he grabbed his phone from the desk and swiped the screen to answer the call as quietly as possible.

"Hello?" He whispered.

"Hey bro, how's Portland treating you?" Taylor asked on the other end of the line.

"I'd rather not talk about it." He responded quietly.

"That good, huh? Well listen...we've still got a few hours of driving to go before we get home, but Isaac just got a call from Carly...looks like she's having some contractions."

"She's having the babies?" Zac yelled a little too loudly, glancing toward the bed to make sure he hadn't disturbed Abby.

"She's pretty sure. Kelly and Liam and Mom are taking her to the hospital as we speak. Isaac is totally freaking out....we're trying to get back as quickly as we can so he doesn't miss anything. I just wanted to keep you up to date on everything. Think you will be home soon?"

"I really...I don't know. I'll try."

"You know it would mean the world to Ike if we were all there...Abby, included. But I know you're going through stuff, so do what you feel is right. He'll understand either way."

"I'll let Abby know what's happening. She might hate me but I know she would want to be there for Ike and Carly...and to meet the babies."

"Try your best."

"I will."

"Love you, bro." Taylor said, hanging up before Zac could respond.

Chucking his phone back down on to the desk, Zac began rummaging through his things to find some clean clothes. Finally locating a pair of black jeans and a long sleeved striped shirt, he was about to drop his towel and get himself dressed when Abby rolled over in the bed to face him. Clutching the towel to his body, he chewed his lip, unsure of what too say, or how much Abby would remember from the night before. Or worse...if she still hated him today as much as she had yesterday.

"Carly's having the babies?" She asked, her voice heavy with sleep.

"Looks that way, yeah." He responded quietly.

Abby sat up slowly, rubbing her forehead and wincing. Clearly he had been right earlier when he assumed she'd be quite hungover.

"We'd better get home, then." She finally said. "I'll go to my room and shower and grab my stuff, you get online and see if we can get flights home quickly."