Chapter Twenty

The next four weeks went by agonizingly slow for Abigail. She had spent several days doing nothing but crying, aside from when she begrudgingly had to help Adam with something. Zac had called her repetitively for several days, which she ignored every time. As the weeks went on, he called less and less. Now she couldn't remember the last time he had actually attempted to contact her.

Abby found herself not only ignoring Zac, but ignoring calls from Kelly, Taylor, Isaac, Carly and Liam as well. Though she did talk to them from time to time, the conversations almost always turned to Zac and she couldn't stand to speak or hear about him. No matter how hard she tried, he consumed all of her thoughts and speaking to his family members and closest friends only made it harder to forget him. It pained her to know that distancing herself from her friends like that may cause permanent damage to her relationships with them but she hoped with every fiber of her being that once her wounds had healed some, they would understand and forgive her and they could go back to the way they were before, except this time without Zac. Though, she wasn't sure how that was actually going to work.

Now here she was, an entire month after her break up with Zac and she was still feeling as though she were living in some kind of foggy haze. She had to force herself to muster the energy to leave Adam's apartment long enough run some errands. She had avoided it for weeks, only leaving long enough to take Adam to and from his appointments at the hospital. She hadn't even gone for groceries. Once the food ran out she had started ordering take out every day, which didn't bother her much because she had very little appetite lately. She knew though, that real food was necessary and she had been putting off some other things as well.

First, she popped into the Post Office. With a sigh, she removed the scrimshaw necklace Zac had bought her and tucked it safely into an envelope, addressing it to the home she shared with him in Oklahoma. She still wasn't quite sure what to do about that situation when she returned to Tulsa, and knew she would have to deal with that sooner rather than later as well.

After sending the necklace back to Zac, she popped into a hair salon, asking if anyone was available. Luckily one of the stylists had just gotten a no-show, and soon she was in her chair. She needed change. She hoped that a makeover would give her the kick in the butt she needed to get out of the funk she had been living in. When she walked into the salon, she had long blonde hair, nearly to her waist. A few hours later when she emerged, her hair was bluntly cut to just below her shoulders, with bangs framing her face. It was also now such a deep shade of brown that it was nearly black. She looked like a completely different woman and was sure she could walk past even Kelly on the street and she wouldn't recognize her at first.

Feeling only slightly better, she finally picked up the groceries that she and Adam needed before heading home to put them away and then take Adam to a check up with his Doctor.

The car ride to the hospital was fairly quiet, as Abby hadn't been, and still was not, in much of a mood for conversation. Adam did however express that he was shocked by her hair, informing her that he absolutely hated it. She shrugged at him and continued to drive until pulling into the hospital parking lot and helping him with his crutches. He was getting around a lot better now and recently the doctor had stated that he thought Adam may be able to have his casts removed even sooner than expected.

A few weeks ago, this news would have thrilled her. She knew Zac was returning home from tour any day now and that would mean that she could go back and be with him sooner, however, she felt differently now. If Adam was healing faster than originally planned, then Abby would have to go home and face Zac, and what to do about their living arrangement, way sooner than she was ready to. Though, she wasn't sure she would ever be ready for that.