Chapter Eighteen

Though she half expected that being in the old apartment that she had shared with Adam would feel like somewhat of a home coming, it didn't. Though nothing had really changed since she had left, being there felt foreign to her at first. Tulsa had become her home so quickly and easily that it was easy to almost forget her previous life. At least it had been, for a little while.

As the days passed by, Adam seemed to be recovering nicely. He had taken over the bedroom, while Abby slept on the couch every night and cared for him during the day with cooking his food, bringing his pain medication every few hours (which had gotten switched over to a less aggressive type after speaking with Adam's doctor about his addiction issues, so he was likely in a bit more pain than most people would be after an accident, causing him to be rather cranky), and helping him up and giving him a shoulder to lean on any time he needed to get to the bathroom.

One day after nearly a week of being home, Abby was in the kitchen preparing herself a morning coffee when she heard Adam calling to her from down the tiny hallway. She abandoned her task with a sigh and headed toward his bedroom.

"Everything okay? Need me to help you to the bathroom for a morning pee?" She smiled.

"Well, yes actually. But when I'm done...I need another favor from you."

"Alright, what?"

"I need you to help me, uh...get clean."

"Excuse me?" Abby raised a brow in question.

"I stink, Abby! I can't have a bath or shower as long as I've got these casts on, and I haven't had a sponge bath since the one the nurse gave me before leaving the hospital...a week ago."

"I'm not gonna argue with the fact that you reek, but I am so not giving you a sponge bath."

"So you're just gonna let me sit here and rot for five more weeks until I get my casts removed?"

"Don't you have someone else you can call for that...?"

"If I did, would you even be here?"

"Well, no..."

"Exactly."

"But, Adam, it's....weird."

"You've seen and touched me naked a million times." Adam responded with a smirk.

"That was then, this is now. I have a boyfriend and I can guarantee you that if I did that, you wouldn't even live long enough to get those casts off once he found out."

"Boyfriend? Please." Adam scoffed. "This apartment is small and I can hear you in every single room. I've heard you speak to him no more than once since you got here a week ago."

"He's on tour, okay?"

"And has no time what so ever to make phone calls here and there?"

"Okay, so maybe things aren't great right now..."

"My point exactly."

"Adam, I took off without telling anyone and then he finds out I flew to another state to be with my ex husband for six weeks. It's totally fair that he's a little upset with me right now."

"Maybe so, but he sure doesn't seem to be trying too hard to fix it."

Abby huffed and took a set next to Adam on his bed. "I think he might be tired of trying to make things work."

"Care to elaborate?" Adam asked after Abby neglected to continue.

"Well, first he liked me but I was kinda dating his best friend. Then when that didn't work out, Zac and I started fooling around...when he was finally ready to tell me he wanted something more, he found me in bed with another girl. After that we tried to be just friends, and that didn't work out..so we decided to give this whole thing a shot and just when things started to go well, you showed up...and then I took off to Maine to be with you. I mean...I love him, but I seem to bring on so much drama, ya know? It's never just easy. He deserves easy."