Rei's family

Rei was on her way out to apologize to Shikamaru. She remembered the expression on his face when he left her to fight her fake version of Pein, yesterday. It was full of disappointment.

Disappointment towards her.

She grabbed the cookies she baked for him and headed out her door. She arrived at his house, and knocked on his door.
"Hey Mr. Shikakuul. Is Shikamaru in?" She asked him when he opened the door. Mr. Shikakuul nodded his head and let her in.

He looked over his shoulder as he walked ahead of her. "He's in his room, If you can get him to stop moping around that would be nice." He said to her.
"I hope these cookies will help." Rei said sighing. "Where's my favorite mother in law?" She added when she noticed it was quiet in the house.

Mr. Shikakuul answered, "She went out to the bakery, she should be back soon."
Rei hoped she was still when his mom got back. She loved his mom so much, it felt like having one sometimes. Rei walked into Shikamaru, knowing he knew she was there. He was laying across his bed on his back, just staring at the ceiling.
Looking at him was making her nervous. "I see you decided to stop being suicidal." He said, his eyes flickering over to her.
She went to sit on his bed, sliding the cookie box over to him. "I brought you some cookies. Double chocolate chip." She said, staring at his bed sheets.

He stayed silent as if she didn't say anything. Rei couldn't take it anymore.
"I let the motivation of hatred fuel me on yesterday. I knew that I could have died, I probably would have died yesterday. No, I would have most definitely died yesterday if it wasn't for you and Sasuke." She stated, ashamed. "The bot was set up to kill me if I didn't say I give up. I wasn't going to say it. All I could think about was killing Pein. Hatred pushed me to keep going, not caring what happens to me and I wasn't think of anyone else."

Rei looked down at the outfit her father gave her as she continued, "you were absolutely right Shikamaru. I was holding back. I was also dishonoring my father yesterday. He told me, he told me before he left to stay the same me. If anything was to happen to him don't let the hate, anger, loneliness take over but I did Shikamaru. I let it take over and if it wasn't for your words back there, I would have kept going." She said as she let the tears fall.
She broke down when she felt Shikamaru's around her, pulling her into him. "He was my hero, my role model, my inspiration." She cried into Shikamaru's chest.

"He still is your hero, role model, and inspiration. I know it hurts right now and I'm sorry for getting upset with you yesterday. I wanted to be there for you but you shut me out, following up with doing something reckless." Shikamaru said as he put a finger under Rei's chin, lifting her face up so he can look at it. "I always want to be there for you. I wouldn't want you to go through anything like this alone. Please don't shut me out like that again."

Rei threw her arms around him, hugging him tightly. "I'm so sorry Shikamaru. I need you and your love to help me get through this. I can't do it alone." She told him.
Shikamaru rubbed her back, soothingly. "I won't let you go through it alone." He said.

Rei heard his front door open. Shikamaru sighed as he let her go. "My mom is back. What a drag." He lazily said.
Rei wiped her face as she grinned at him, and getting up. "We've been dating a little over a year and you still continue to be a pain to your mom. Get over yourself." She said as she walked towards his door. She didn't have to go far as his mom popped into his room.

"Rei honey. I'm so glad you stopped over. I'm actually making your favorite, lasagna, for dinner. You're staying for dinner. I'm not taking no for an answer." His mom commanded.
Rei saw Shikamaru shaking his head from the corner of her eye, making her giggle. "Hello to you too Mother in law." She said to his mom.