Chapter 2

The boy in the shadows, from what Magnus could observe, seemed to work for Shadowhunter Gossip as well. He could tell from the cover of his flipped-open notepad. There was the diamond-like symbol that stood for the popular magazine and TV channel, the same one that had been on Clary Fairchild's microphone. He wasn't paying attention to anything else at the party, and was instead scribbling away furiously with a thin, black pen.

He was attractive, Magnus realized to himself, very attractive, indeed.

He seemed to be only a few years younger than Magnus himself (who was 22), perhaps 17 or 18? He was quite tall, only a bit shorter than Magnus, with a strong build that held a sophisticated air of grace and elegance to it. His skin was pale and unblemished, looking almost like fine porcelain. His dark hair curled gently around his face, and as soft and silken as midnight raven feathers. He had intense, blue eyes which reminded him of tinted glass, glinting prettily and drawing him in. They weren't one single color, but a mixture of all different shades and highlights of blue that swirled together around his dark pupils like a wave of color spread across a blank canvas to create something entirely unique.

He was wearing a simple black tuxedo and tie, which pointed out the paleness of his complexion even more. He looked so delicate, but Magnus had a feeling that he had iron inside of him that was not easily broken. His shoulders slumped slightly from where he was writing, as if he was hoping that no one would notice him. That was a bit of the odd thing, usually, reporters and photographers wanted the most attention they could get in parties like these, they needed it to be noticed by them and to get the latest gossip.

Magnus, during his life, had loved many women and men in his life. He had been attracted to them because of different things, maybe the accent they spoke in, or the clever wit they had when they spoke. He had met many, many people from all over the world thanks to his career, and had seen many different situations with different outcomes. Yet, for the first time in his life, he had no idea how the quiet reporter would react if Magnus when up and introduced himself. He was usually very good at reading emotions, but this boy's face remained calm and steady, his features all completely concentrated on whatever he was writing right then. He had an aura of mystery that completed shrouded him, and Magnus found that it was so blurred that he couldn't see past it. He couldn't tell anything about the boy at all, there simply were not enough clues for him to tell.

Yet, Magnus was not one to back down, especially socially. He straightened his blazer just a bit and checked his reflection in a nearby empty platter. He looked at his reflection, the familiar slanted eyes and thin cheekbones were only slightly distorted. He dropped himself a glittering wink with a dust of shining eyeshadow, and moved over to meet the reporter.

The boy didn't look up until Magnus was right in front of him. His pretty blue eyes were startled, but his expression was a bit curious and interested. Magnus took this as a good sign.

"Magnus," he said, drawling his voice just a bit, "Magnus Bane. And you are?"

"Oh, hi," Alec said, he didn't even bat an eyelid at the mention of his famous name, "I've heard that you're a very successful actor. It's nice to be able to meet you. My name's Alexander Lightwood, but everyone calls me Alec. I work for Shadowhunter Gossip."

"Alec," Magnus tried out the name in his mouth. It was a bit old-fashioned, but simple and elegant, just like he seemed to be. It fit him perfectly.

A small smile twitched up in the corner of Alec's face, soft, but a genuine one. His black pen was still poised over his notepad, but it had stopped moving.

"Mr. Bane- "

"Call me Magnus," Magnus said, "the whole 'Mr.' thing is overrated and much too formal for my taste."