Chapter 30

"Why the sudden change of heart?" Magnus asked Alec.

The weather in Brooklyn was starting to get colder, and both of them were bundled up in scarves and thick jackets, but even that couldn't block out the full sting of chill in the air. The skies had turned a light shade of gray, and Magnus wondered quietly to himself, if it might actually snow.

Not that he minded, though, Alec was really all the warmth that he needed.

"What do you mean?" Alec asked him, glancing around the outside of the restaurant in hopes of seeing Jace and Izzy.

"I thought you didn't want to see your family," Magnus said a little quietly. Alec's eyes darkened for a slight moment, and he seemed to tense.

"I still don't want to see certain members of my family," he finally said, his tone was cautious, "but there are people in my life that I realized I shouldn't cut out just because of my parents' judgement."

"I'm glad to hear that," Magnus said, giving Alec's hand a small squeeze.

Using one, free, gloved hand, Alec wrapped his light blue scarf tighter around his neck. With the other, he squeezed back gratefully. Over time, he had grown more comfortable with small shows of affection, out in the public. Magnus had never been more pleased. He loved Alec, and he was the type of person who wanted the entire world to know when he was in love.

Alec had come home from filming yesterday, telling Magnus that he had decided to meet up with his sister and Jace at the Clave Italian. Not only was the restaurant away from most of the public, but it gave Alec a chance to talk more with his cousins as well.

Magnus had just nodded in agreement, then had been pleasantly surprised when Alec had asked him to join him there as well.

So now, they were standing there, Magnus had had Ragnor drop the two of them off in his personal car. This was one occasion that he could not allow paparazzi or fans to ruin for Alec.

Alec seemed to straighten when a flash of blonde hair came to view. Jace was wearing a dark red beanie, but his light, tousled locks had managed to escape the hat and were spilling out around his face, ruffled by the cold winds. Right next to him was Isabelle, with a long, black trench coat on with silvery buttons. Of course, Magnus could see that she was wearing high-heeled leather boots with large buckles. How she managed to walk in her choice of footwear, it was a mystery that Magnus would never figure out.

It seemed, that they had decided to bring along other guests as well.

The first one who Magnus recognized was Clary Fairchild, with her thick red curls flowing over her shoulders, catching his eyes even from the distance. He still remembered the bright little reporter from the Accords, who had been worried that she wouldn't be a good enough reporter. Her green eyes were bright, and as Magnus's eyes travelled, he realized that she was holding onto Jace's hand.

The second person, was Clary's cameraman. Sheldon, or Sammy, Magnus wasn't quite sure what his name was. And to Magnus's surprise, he was holding onto Isabelle's hand, in a light, carefree way that meant the two of them touched each other in this little way often.

"Well then," Alec said next to Magnus, but there was a small, bright smile on his face, "this is a bit of a surprise."

"Alec!" Isabelle was the first to talk the minute they had all finished ordering their food. Much to Alec's disappointment, Gideon and Gabriel both were out. Their waiter, Jordan, told them that they were out dealing with something about Will Herondale and his fear of ducks.

Magnus didn't know that the young actor had a fear of ducks. It might come in handy as a useful weapon against him if he really ever needed it.

"It's good to see you again, sis," his smile was a genuine one, unlike the one Alec always seemed to use for cameras. He nodded greetings to the other three as well, maybe a little awkwardly to Clary and Simon.