Chapter 11

So, Magnus thought to himself, mildly interested by the thought, Gideon, the owner's older son, knows Alec. He had thought that he had heard the Lightwood name before, from the moment he had met Alec, but he hadn't known why.

"I'll have the usual," Magnus told the waiter, a young boy with light brown hair. The boy, whose name tag read "Jordan", nodded, and scribbled what Magnus wanted down on his notepad. Then, he looked towards Alec with his friendly, puppy-like eyes. Magnus had seen Jordan around a few times with a girl with dark, braided hair and bright eyes when he was on break, he guessed that they were a couple.

"It's been a while since I've been here," Alec admitted a little sheepishly, "but I recall the Stele Spaghetti being good. I'll have that."

Jordan nodded and headed off to deliver their orders. Now, Magnus had to figure out a way to start a good conversation now he had Alec alone. He hoped that with less people focused on them, Alec could be coaxed a bit out of that shell he loved to hide inside. Magnus leaned in, watching Alec intensely. Maybe a bit too intensely, Alec noticed Magnus standing, and looked extremely worried.

"Is there something on my face?"

"No, nothing," Magnus told him, "So Alexander, besides working for Shadowhunter Gossip and what not, what do you like to do in your free time?"

"I do this in Shadowhunter Gossip too," Alec said, Magnus liked the way he seemed to answer everything thoughtfully, truly taking the time to think about the answer, "But I guess my hobby would be photography. Not taking pictures for the magazine of course, but just kind of capturing simple moments in general is what I like."

The hobby, Magnus realized, was almost just like Alec. It was simple, but something to be remembered. His pictures lasted for a long time, never changing, just like how Alec himself didn't like too much change.

"Might you show me some of the pictures you've taken?" Magnus prodded just a bit further, and hoped that Alec wouldn't grow uncomfortable and close up again. Alec didn't seem to notice Magnus's careful tone, though.

"Well I don't have my camera with me right now," he said, "but I guess some other time?"

That was a good start, Alec thought that maybe they would like to meet again. Magnus felt his heart flutter slightly as if it was trying to break free inside of him, but he chided it and let it settle the best he could. He didn't quite understand why Alexander Lightwood caught his attention so much, and why Magnus liked to be around him. This morning, it had been a careless, brash act to skip out and cancel a meet-n-greet with some fans who were paying a data company, just to be able to see Alec on his birthday, and he still didn't know exactly why he had done it. It had annoyed Catarina immensely, but Magnus had still managed (after a lot of negotiation to reschedule the meet-n-greet) to convince her to let him go down to Shadowhunter Gossip headquarters. Alexander was just a normal person, he wasn't even another celebrity, or someone who always soaked up attention like Jace or his sister. He was just, himself, and Magnus must've been crazy for just liking that. He liked how simple and ordinary Alec was.

"Of course," Magnus said. There was a moment of silence drifting in once again, and Alec took a sip of his water that had arrived earlier, the ice cubes in the tall glass clinked together. Magnus didn't touch his red wine, but played with the utensils on the table. They gleamed dimly in the light.

"Um," Alec took a moment to try and grasp for a subject, "So Catarina, she's your agent, right? She seems very serious about what she does, and pushes you."

"She does," Magnus agreed, thankful that they were talking once again, "But she's kind, too. She looks a bit intimidating, but once she lets you into your heart, she's one of the best people that you might ever meet. Catarina doesn't know this, and please don't tell her I said this, but I wouldn't be where I am today without her."