Chapter 34

Magnus had never been bothered by the chilling, winter air of New York, but he had to admit that he was thankful for the warmth of the heater in the Lightwood brothers' home. Cecily of course, fussed over Alec more than over Magnus, but she did break away from dusting snow off of the boy to toss Magnus a bundle of clean, warm clothes.

"I think Gideon's clothing might be a close fit," she told him, "even if they aren't perfect, at least they'll keep you warm for now."

Then, she had gone back to trying to wipe the cold snow out of Alec's hair. He seemed a little uncomfortable, and the others behind him had been chuckling to themselves.

"Alec, Magnus!" Alec seemed even more startled when he recognized his younger sister's voice. He turned to Gideon, who had been bring over a bundle of Gabriel's clothes for him to change into.

"You invited Izzy and the others as well?" he asked, awkwardly hugging his sister around the waist with one arm, the other clinging to the fresh change of clothes. She rolled her eyes at him.

"I'm right here, Alec," she told him with a toss of her long hair, "and besides, you forget that Gideon and Gabriel are my cousins too, not just yours."

"Alright, alright," Cecily shoed away the other approaching people. Magnus caught a glimpse of bright red hair, it seemed as if both Jace and Izzy had brought along their significant others as well. That fact, at least, made Magnus feel a little less as if he was an unwelcome intruder.

Cecily Herondale was pushing the two of them to separate, empty rooms.

"Change," she told them, "then the two of you can have hot chocolate if you like. We were just about to start up the Christmas movie as well, we'll wait for the two of you."

Right before she swung the door shut on Magnus, he could hear the sounds of Gabriel Lightwood's irritated shouting. Someone who sounded suspiciously identical to Will replied back in a bold, arrogant tone. He smiled to himself at the muffled sounds behind the doors. The commotion stood for family, the loud noises meant that all of them were well, together and happy.

Alec had always liked sweaters. There was something soothing about the material of them, soft and worn to the touch, even if he might've just bought it. They were comfortable, and there was just something secure about the way it wrapped about him that made it extremely pleasant.

But this was definitely too much.

Alec was almost certain that his cousin Gabriel had never worn this sweater in his entire life. He wondered, a little stricken to himself, if perhaps William had bought it for him just to spite him.

It was an ugly Christmas sweater, the most alarming shade of bright red that Alec had ever seen. There was a pattern of prancing reindeer over it, their antlers woven with thick pieces of white warn. They twisted and turned in the most ridiculous pattern across the fabric that Alec had ever seen. It was surprisingly comfortable, though. At least it was better than his snow-soaked tuxedo form before. He winced a little. The tux had been a rental, hopefully, not too much damage had been done to it. It wasn't so much that he couldn't pay for repairs, but more as if he would feel horrible. He never liked it when people returned things they borrowed from him in bad shape.

The pants were a perfect fit, to Alec's surprise. He wasn't about to be ungrateful, though, and folded his old clothes over one of his arms. Then, he headed outside.

The first person he ran into was Magnus, who had changed into Gideon's clothes. He was also wearing an ugly Christmas sweater, but somehow, he managed to make it work.

It was a distressing mustard yellow, with a pattern of Christmas trees dotting all over the sweater, including the sleeves. The edges of were frayed, which meant it was one of Gideon's older, more neglected sweaters. Alec didn't really blame him.