Chapter 7

Magnus had been bored many times at other interviews. Some reporters or fans simply had long, drawling voices that made him yawn and want to ask for a pillow. Alec's sweet voice, though, which was kind and childlike, filled with a curiosity about the world around him, was something that he could never get tired of listening to, though. He said everything carefully, and once in a while would move his hand up to brush and swipe at some of his midnight-dark hair out of his bright blue eyes. Magnus found it to be incredibly endearing, and resisted the urge to do it himself, to brush his dark locks away to reveal his forget-me-not eyes that changed like the colors of the sky.

When Alec finished writing down Magnus's last answer about some of his greatest friends that he could always count on, he moved onto the next one, his eyes lowering so he could read it off his notebook. The reporter seemed as if he was about to speak, but then changed his mind at the last moment. He froze, his brow furrowing slightly at what was written. Magnus guessed that it probably wasn't be Alec himself, but instead, either Jace or Isabelle. Alec seemed to realize that Magnus was still waiting for him to say something, and spoke up, his tone sounding awkward.

"Sorry, Magnus," he tried for an apologetic smile, "I wasn't able to check through all of these questions, and my sister wrote some of these. I didn't realize that some of the things she wrote would be...well, uncomfortable to you."

"I don't mind a bit of extra flavoring," Magnus said good-naturedly, "Go on, tell me the question and I'll answer it to the best of my ability. The most that can really happen with me is I might get mildly irritated, and that doesn't happen a lot. By what you may have already been able to tell, I'm usually very good-natured and patient."

Good job, Magnus, he thought to himself, pleased, point out some of your good traits to Alec.

Alec shook his head, seeming a bit sheepish, "I think it'd be better if I didn't tell you what it is. Isabelle...she's not always using her head to think."

"I insist," Magnus smiled back at him, trying to be persuasive. He knew that he could be very persuasive if he really wanted to. It was one of his finest charms. It worked on Alec. The other boy hesitated for a moment before deciding to go for it.

"Um, well," he was clutching the notebook a bit too tightly, "What's your...sexuality? As in your preferred gender of partner?"

"I like to think of myself as a freewheeling bisexual," Magnus told him without missing a beat or batting an eyelid at the question, "I think love is love, gender doesn't matter. Besides, both girls and boys can be extremely attractive even when they don't think about it too much."

With his last sentence, he winked quickly at Alec. The boy cleared his throat, a slight flush once again rising to his face. It really was adorable.

Alec wrote down Magnus's answer and stood up sharply, as if he had no right to be sitting on that couch in the first place. He was wearing all dull and dark colors that day, so it seemed as if he was really an outsider who didn't belong among all of Magnus's colorful objects. Alec might've been so attractive, but Magnus could see that he didn't have the best eye for clothing. Magnus wondered idly to himself if Alec's mother might've been the one who purchased his clothes.

"Well, Magnus, thank- "Alec was cut off short, and he looked down at his feet.

"Oh, hello," Alec said, the corners of his mouth curving into a quick smile.

Magnus looked down as well to see his cat, Chairman Meow, wrapping himself contently around Alec's legs, rubbing his grayish fur around his black, worn jeans. The Chairman purred happily, his ears perked up with joy and a bit of curiosity. Magnus couldn't stop the smile coming across his features.