Epilogue (And other stuff)

Alec let one of the bodyguards help him out of the limo, and was instantly blinded by the flashing of cameras.

It seemed like forever ago when he had been one of those reporters, desperate for something fresh to put into the entertainment section of their magazine's next issue. Loud questions about his children and comments on his chosen attire for the night were chaos in his ears, making him wince.

"It seems like we still have our touch, despite keeping things low for a while," a familiar, warm voice whispered in his ear. The tension instantly slipped off of his shoulders as a slender hand slid into his.

Suddenly, all of the shoving fans and microphones in his face seemed millions of miles away. The red carpet blurred into nothing but a mere background.

Because all he could see was Magnus and his golden-flecked eyes.

"Although, I will admit that I haven't done this in a while." Alec's husband continued on, eyeing the crowding reporters a bit warily. "Were they always this noisy?"

"No noisier than Max when he doesn't get his milk." He murmured back almost automatically. Magnus shuddered. It was a positive, affection shudder at the thought of their younger son. Alec was almost sure of it.

Max and Rafe had been the main reason the two of them had decided to lie low for a while. Alec had been a reporter for most of his life, but had crossed the threshold willingly after meeting Magnus. Even at his more mature age, the jam-packed schedules, the wide-eyed fans, the dazzling lights, had tossed him into a whirlwind for the first two years. In the midst of spreading rumors and sleepless nights of filming, he'd mostly wanted nothing more than to be normal once again.

He wasn't sure what he would've done without Magnus during that time, who had understood everything so quietly. So steadily.

When they'd first adopted Max, the very first thing Alec had absolutely demanded was that their children have a peaceful childhood, just as he had once had. Life was difficult enough to stumble through without famous parents and stalkerish paparazzi wherever you went. And so, they tried their best to keep Max and Rafe away from this crazy world of Hollywood lights and endless cameras.

Right now, the kids were at home with their babysitter for the night, Jace, who could not be trusted around a microwave. This struck Alec as a horrible idea, but his mother was out of town, Simon at another one of his nerdy conventions, and the girls were having their monthly night out. He reached for his phone to call home, just as he and Magnus were swallowed alive by the reporters.

"Magnus and Alec Lightwood-Bane! Could we have a few words on married life?!"

"Magnus, I'm absolutely in love with what you're wearing tonight. Who's it by?"

"Alec, is it true that you're going to be playing Gabriella in the new High School Musical revival next month?!"

He blinked at the last one. "I'm what?"

"Yes, that one is absolutely true." Magnus dropped a glittery wink. "And I shall be playing Troy Bolton."

Alec dragged Magnus away towards the Institute before he could say anything else.

"You know, sometimes you really should just shut up." He sighed in exasperation, pointing out their names on the party list for the bouncer at the door. They headed inside, the giant sea of overexcited people fading fast behind them.

"Make me." Magnus grinned. The glitter in his hair was bright pink tonight.

"Alright." Alec caught the front of his blazer, drawing the other man close. They kissed, and Alec felt his breath hitch automatically.