Chapter 26

The movie filming was well underway once again. Magnus didn't really understand it, and it might've been his own imagination, but Alec seemed to work even harder on the film. Magnus could tell that his acting skills had really improved, and he was memorizing his new, changed lines faster than he thought was possible. Magnus himself found that the multiple, new changes to the scripts and plot were not a drawback at all. This might've been the best movie he was ever going to get the chance to act in. And he got to do it with Alec, which was a definite bonus.

"So... you really like me?" Alec's voice was soft, curious, but it still managed to project throughout the entire scene. Magnus took a moment to remember his own lines, his mouth moving fluidly, almost automatically.

"What do you think?" there was a teasing edge in his voice. Alec's eyes looked up widely at him, the brilliant blue lighting up underneath his thick, full lashes.

Magnus tried to keep his voice even, to remind himself that this was just acting.

"And that's it for today!" Magnus almost hated Raphael in that moment, drawing Alexander's attention away from him. He had been finding that he loved Alec's attention, the way he would smile at him, the way he laughed at his jokes even if they weren't particularly amusing.

It was terrible.

"Nice work today," it took a moment for Magnus to realize that he was actually talking to him, before taking a drink out of his water bottle, draining most of it thirstily.

"Yeah," he managed to reply. And was immensely annoyed with himself when he realized that there was nothing interesting that he had thought up to say in that quick moment. Why did Alexander make him this way?

"Well, this movie has certainly taken an unusual twist," Cecily Herondale's voice reached them before her figure did, and she was joined by her brother, Tessa, and Jem.

"I could've sworn from what I've read of the script," Will added onto his sister, recalling he had once been casted to play Alec's character, "that Damian Ross was supposed to be hopelessly in love with Eliza Quill, not Astridian Cells."

"It was originally planned like that," Magnus admitted (Astridian was his character to play), "but let's just say..."

His eyes caught Alec's, and there was a noticeable blush rushing up into the boy's face, his blue eyes turned away once they had been locking eyes for too long.

How adorable.

"Let's just say the whole thing took a complicated twist," he finished smoothly.

"I'll bet," Will said good-naturedly, and there was almost a laugh in his words, "if I had known that I might've been kissing you, my friend, in this movie, I would've never, ever signed up to audition."

Magnus raised an eyebrow at him.

"No offense," Will said with a bright smile.

Alec came over to join them. He had wiped most of the onset makeup off his face, a dark smudge still rimmed the edge of his left eye, though.

"Cecily," he addressed them, "Will, Jem, Tessa, it's nice to see all of you. I hope you don't mind me asking so suddenly, but did you all manage to..."

"We got your things," Jem offered, and Magnus suddenly realized that he was holding a large box that seemed to be full of things. Tessa was holding one as well, and Magnus thought he could see the sleeve of an old, worn sweater nearly draping out of the top of it.

"Oh, thank you so much!" Alec moved quickly to take the boxes from then, "I guess Will's plan really did work, then?"

"We were almost caught," Cecily's voice was slightly irritated, though the irritation was mostly directed towards her brother, "Jem managed to find a way out for us just in time."