Chapter 37

It had been five years since they had adopted Max. Magnus could still remember all of the paperwork that they had to go through. He remembered all the questions, that seemed to be shooting out at him from seemingly nowhere. He should've prepared for it. The entire world was going to know that he and Alec were not only getting married, but that they also would be adopting a child. In the end though, when he looked back at all the sleepless nights and how stressed Alec had always seen, he knew that it had been worth it.

Max had been worth all of that. Magnus knew that there was something really special about the little boy, even though he didn't realize it himself. That was one of the things that Max had in similar with Alec. The fact that they both had such good personalities, but didn't even seem to realize it themselves.

Magnus could see changes in their son, even though they were very small. He was used to paying attention to small details like that. It was one of the things that he had picked up in his career. The small changes meant that he was slowly starting to grow up, even though there were so many changes to go.

Max had started wobbling excitedly on his still-stubby legs. His face was still round and plump with baby fat, but something about it had hardened out, now that he was older. His eyes were still bright, and the color of blueberries. That was the bane of the little nickname Magnus had given Max. His little blueberry. His voice was soft and small, which Magnus thought suspiciously was because of Alec's influence. He remembered so many times when Max had started fussing and crying as a baby that Alec would just calmly pick him up, speaking to him in a soft, low tone that sounded a bit like falling feathers.

His phone suddenly buzzed in his pocket, and Magnus blinked for a moment before picking up at the familiar number.

"Magnus? Hello?" Alec's voice was still as gentle as ever. It was one of the things that hadn't changed about him after their marriage. Magnus had seen so many sorts of marriages where someone wasn't really as they seemed. That wasn't the case for Alec. He was still him.

"Darling," Magnus purred, putting the phone up to his ear, "it's always so nice to hear from you."

His husband's voice was slightly irritated, "Magnus, I've told you before that 'Alec', or if you're really feeling sappy, 'Alexander', is just fine."

"Whatever you say, love," he said, slitting his eyes a little amused. He could almost hear Alec rolling his eyes on the other side of the phone.

"Anyways, how's it going?" Alec's tone suddenly changed, taking on an edge of complete nervousness, "is he okay? Did you make sure that he has his lunch? Tell him that I miss him, and that I'm so sorry that I wasn't able to see him off to school."

"Alexander," Magnus said, holding onto Max's hand just a little tighter, "he hasn't even entered the preschool building yet."

"Oh," cue Alec's awkward embarrassment, one of the things that always made him so endearing, "I'm sorry. I guess I'm really stressed about him. Damn, maybe I should've tried to take the day off to see him off on his first day."

"I'm here with him," Magnus told him patiently, "and it's not as if you can really take a break from filming. Especially since Raphael's the one who's directing this film."

"That is very true," Alec agreed, and he sounded just a little tired at the mere mention of the young director, "but still..."

"Would you like to talk to him before we go inside?" Magnus asked flatly.

He could almost sense Alec perking up on the other side of the phone, "Oh yes, of course!"

Magnus looked down at their three-year old son, who instantly turned his mop of dark blue curls to look up at him. Max Lightwood-Bane had the darkest hair that Magnus had ever seen, it was even, somehow, darker than Alec's. It was so dark that a slight sheen of blue was over it, glinting in the sunlight.