Chapter 17

Alec did not recall everything being so tense, and so unexplainably cold, when he was around Magnus. The only thing he really knew about it was that he hated it.

Sure, there had been a couple of times when things had been a little tight between them, and the issue of Alec never really knowing what to say when he was around anyone at all, but never like this. Usually, when they had seen each other, there was this easy, breeze-like aura around them, and they could speak normally with each other. They could joke, they could discuss the topics that interested them most during the day. Now, though, as they sat across from each other at the little, darkened booth, everything had seemed to change.

Alec hadn't known that time could affect something like this, he didn't know that too much time away from each other, it might've actually split them apart.

Taki's was mostly empty, save for the one or two lingering customers. Their waitress, to Alec's surprise, was Kaelie. He had assumed that she worked full time as part of the staff for the Institute, but apparently that was not the case. She recognized Alec of course, and chatted with him a few moments before taking their orders and heading to the back kitchen. Alec knew that she was only speaking to him because of Jace, but he felt no bitterness at the matter. After all, he was used to staying in his best friend's shadow, so he didn't mind as much now. Jace couldn't help being the way he was, he couldn't help the fact that he soaked up all the attention around him, even when he didn't want it. The same went for Isabelle, she still got all the of the spotlight, but she wasn't the one to blame for it. Alec had learned that a long time ago. Besides, never being noticed meant that nothing bad really ever noticed him either. It was safer that way, and Alec had been known to always enjoy the safer path. Once Kaelie had been gone, however, there was a cold, frigid air that surrounded the two of them.

"So," Alec wasn't really what to say, and he tapped his hand nervously on a napkin, "We haven't seen each other for a while."

He mentally cringed, that was stupidly obvious, no wonder Magnus had not bothered to contact him again. He was so dull. For a moment, Alec wished more than anything that Jace was there. In a situation like this, his bright and shining best friend would've known exactly what to do to break the mood. If he was here right then, there was no doubt in Alec's mind that all of them would be laughing and talking again as if Magnus had never left. In the silence, the emptiness that rang in Alec's mind actually gave him some clarity. His mind drifted back to the magazines, the ones that had briefly mentioned him, that had the blurred out, terrible pictures of him. He remembered Magnus's words from the interview, and wondered if Magnus even knew about them. He didn't seem to, with his calm and collected air. Then again, the other man always seemed so calm and collected.

Alec's mind felt like glue, all he could think of, and all he could stick to, were those magazines that Maia had showed him. He remembered Magnus's words, did he really see Alec as someone that might be special to him? Did he really like Alec in the way that he hinted he did? The thoughts were running rampant inside his mind, and for a blank, very un-Alec like moment, he was almost tempted to ask Magnus about it.

But then part of himself seemed to snap back together, pulling him away from the reckless thought before the words had the chance to slip out of his mouth, and his lips stayed sealed shut. He couldn't ask Magnus about that, he knew that for sure.

And if it was true, Alec still wasn't quite sure what he thought about all of it himself. And all of this, too much was happening to him at once, and everything seemed to be clamoring down on him. It terrified him, but with it, it brought an edge of excitement. That small, tingling edge of excitement sent his nerves aflame, and it light him up from the inside. It wasn't such a terrible feeling. Alec wondered if this was the same, fiery edge, this same almost enjoyable feeling that came to Jace or Isabelle whenever they decided to do something a bit reckless.