Chapter 16

Magnus Bane let the wind run through his hair, and it caused his light yellow scarf to flutter out behind him. As he stepped down from the private jet, the New York air, thick with the smell of cigarettes and tobacco were present. And the skies were blue, yet tinted with gray, and some of the golden sun was clouded over. Still, he loved all of it. It felt so nice to be back home.

Filming this movie had taken a bit longer than usual, the director had been extremely picky about how everyone delivered their lines for the multiple individual scenes. Camille Belcourt, the designer for some of the outfits (and also an acquaintance of Magnus's that he wasn't on the best terms with) had been even more pickier than usual about the slightest wrinkles in the costumes. Tanzania had been nice, and he did enjoy some of the exotic scenery there, but New York would always be his favorite place. His line of work allowed him to travel to all sorts of places, but in the end, everything always seemed to just lead him back to the Big Apple. He felt a strange sense of belonging once he stepped into the concrete jungle, although he couldn't exactly explain why. It seemed to embrace him. There was something wonderfully welcoming about everything in it, it was like the atmosphere somehow had the ability to change something stirring deep inside of him.

"Magnus we really do have to stop dawdling," Catarina was behind him, and although he couldn't see her, he could sense that she was crossing her arms and impatiently tapping her foot. His agent could be a little annoying at times, but in a very endearing way.

The private jet had landed at the New York airport, but at a smaller landing area so he wouldn't draw in too much attention. Still, he knew that it was best that they hurried along before a lost, wandering pedestrian happened to take a double take.

"Of course, Catarina," Magnus said, and he pushed the sunglasses that he had been wearing to the top of his spiked, messy hair, wrapping his scarf more tightly around himself. There was a certain chill in the air, but it was pleasant and calming. He was escorted by his bodyguards over to the limo, which was waiting for them, sleek with its tinted windows.

"Besides," he said as he got inside, "There's someone I've been dying to meet up with anyways."

Catarina got into the limo right behind him, and she was rolling her eyes as one of the bodyguards closed the door to the limo with a satisfying slam.

"Don't tell me," her voice was dry, and Magnus could sense boredom in it, "You want to meet up with that pretty reporter. The one with dark hair and blue eyes. What was his name again? Alan? Aaron?"

"Alexander," Magnus replied, and he tried to hide the quick affection that always seemed to rise up in his voice when he said the syllables of the Shadowhunter Gossip's reporter's name. His past self would be disgusted by the way his voice tilted. He felt as if he had to add something in from the strange look that his agent was giving him.

"And besides, what makes you think that I immediately want to meet up with him?"

Of course, Catarina Loss had no idea how right she was.

Like Magnus would ever let her know that.

They were already halfway back to Magnus's house, when Magnus couldn't wait any longer. Catarina looked out the window in mild indifference and was suddenly very interested in a small leaf that had fallen on the thick glass as Magnus pulled out is phone to call Alec. He brought the phone up to his ear, listening to the dial tone, it sounded as if it was verbally stating is anxiousness, he wasn't really sure what to think. How would Alec react? Would he be pleasantly surprised? Or would he simply be confused? Magnus had the terrible, fleeting thought that Alec might've already met someone else, someone else who he really did care for. He wasn't sure what he would do then. Magnus was just about to end the call, his finger moving towards the screen when suddenly there was the sound of someone picking up.