Chapter 20

"Um, Magnus," Magnus really did love the way that Alec said his name, and he didn't even know exactly why, "I'm not sure if me being here is such a good idea."

"Oh don't worry about it," Magnus said, "you're a reporter here on this movie set, after all."

"An unauthorized, trespassing reporter," Alec muttered to himself not quite low enough so that Magnus couldn't hear.

It had been a week or so after that day at the park, and the sudden uncomfortable air had returned whenever they saw each other, even though they had tried to shake it off. Magnus didn't want to push Alec, and he could tell how harsh Maryse Lightwood might be if she found out that her son was sneaking about with her oldest son, but he still hated sneaking around. Magnus supposed that it wouldn't be the first time, he had been with other people before, long before Alec that had hidden who they really were. In the end, that had always seemed to be what cut away their relationship like the sharpened edge of a knife.

Magnus hoped to desperately that this would not be the issue with Alexander Lightwood. Magnus wasn't sure what he would do if this boy was the one who broke his heart in the end. He wasn't sure how well he would be able to mend himself.

So, in an attempt to spend more time with him, Magnus had offered Shadowhunter Gossip an exclusive look at the set of the latest of his movies, that they hadn't even started filming yet. It was Love Lasts or Doesn't, which had been a highly anticipated film since two years ago.

Honestly, it must've been one of the worst ideas that Magnus probably had in his life.

He had never before dared to bring anyone he was in a relationship with to where he was working, it simply didn't do if his career and his personal life were colliding, even if perhaps that person might've been famous themselves. But in a sudden spur of the moment, Magnus found himself doing so with Alec. Maybe it was the fact that he just so wanted Alec to be able to be parts of both of his worlds, he wanted Alec to be in all of his life, and not just one overshadowed half of it.

It had not occurred to Magnus how Director Raphael Santiago might react to him bringing an unauthorized magazine reporter with him to work.

"Erm," Alec was tapping his foot nervously now once more people had been able to arrive on the set, "Maybe I should go-"

"No, no," Magnus was someone who was sometimes who was too stupidly determined, "This is perfectly fine."

Alec fiddled with his notebook nervously, turning it over and over in his hands. He opened his mouth, about to say something else, but instead was shaken by another, loud and brash voice. Magnus cringed slightly, the crankiest, most impatient person in the world with the face of a sweet angel had finally arrived.

"Magnus Bane!" Raphael Santiago's voice as always, was very, very irritated when he spoke to Magnus, "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

Both of them watched as the young director rushed over to them, and even usually cool and composed Alec looked terrified at the fire that was burning beneath Raphael's deep brown eyes. Tailing him was his ever loyal assistant, Lily. She was carrying a cup of still-steaming coffee with Raphael's name messily scrawled across it by a barista's hand. She looked very amused by the entire situation, her dark eyes were laughing.

When Raphael finally was there with them, he had to look up in order to meet Magnus's eyes. In another situation, Magnus might've found this hysterical, but from the way that Alec's face was paling, it did not feel so hysterical just right then.

He gestured animatedly to Alec, who just sort of stood there with a lost sort of expression on his neat face. He spoke very rapidly in Spanish, the foreign words biting and stinging like dancing fire. Raphael barely managed to calm down and take a sip of his coffee before handing it back to Lily before he spoke once again, this time in heavily accented English. Magnus studied his nails as the director shouted at him.