Siren

Time: 4:40 p.m

When Lizanna showed up to work, it was just an ordinary day. She and Officer Hern exchanged a few insults before ignoring the other, Leonardo and Donatello were at it again with their stupidity, and Officer Troy was unnecessarily enraged. It was just an ordinary day.

As she stood on guard, an unfamiliar guard walked up to her. "Officer Lizanna, I presume?"

"Yes."

"My name is Officer Rudy and the warden sent me here to give you a message. He wants you in his office in the next ten minutes. I'll be taking your post until you return."

She nodded her head and briskly walked toward the exit, but she felt a strong piercing gaze following her. It felt uncomfortable so she turned around to see where the intensity of the stare was coming from. Andrés, sitting comfortably on the floor crisscross applesauce, was grinning contagiously as his eyes followed her movement. The action unnerved Lizanna, but she chose to ignore it as she made the ten minute walk to the warden's office.

Time: 4:50 p.m

"You called for me?" She asked once she arrived.

"Yes, please take a seat."

Lizanna strolled the short distance across Warden Westbrook's office, taking a seat in an expensive plush chair. She made herself comfortable before giving the warden her full attention. She surmised on the way here that surely he must have something important to discuss with her.

"So, how are you managing being posted at Level A?" He asked as he crossed his fingers and propped his head on them as if he was interested. "Is everything going well?"

Lizanna rose an eyebrow in confusion. "I suppose, sir. Though I didn't get the best partner, I believe I'm managing well. Why do you ask?"

He shook his head. "No reason. I just wanted to see how you were faring there. I mean, you are the newbie."

"Oh, thank you, but you don't have to worry about me. I signed up for this job knowing full well of what's expected of me. If that is all, I'll be on-"

"Wait, there is another reason why I called you here. If you could spare fifteen minutes of your time."

~MEANWHILE~

"They've been abnormally docile today," whispered a Level D patrolling guard. "What's up with that?"

"I don't know and I don't care," answered another guard. "My shift ends at five, so in about five minutes I'll be on my way home."

The two guards rounded a corner which housed another floor of criminals. And like the last floor, the inmates were abnormally silent.

"But seriously, doesn't it bother you Adam? I mean come on, even Roger's quieter than he should be!" He exclaimed as he gestured to the criminal. Roger sat calmly on the top bunk of his bed, swinging his dangling legs as his cell mate leaned on the wall. While his cell mate was quiet, Roger hummed an unfamiliar tune.

As if sensing them staring, Roger turned toward them and offered them a smile. "Say guys, do you know what time it is?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"Why do I want to know? Well, because I simply want to know. I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to know, right?" Roger answered.

Both guards frowned, but told him the time anyway. "It's 4:59."

And soon after they said that, every cell in the building slid open.

The time was now 5:00 p.m.

There were no alarms and no indications of what had happened to alert anyone. The only noise that could be heard from that point onward were bullets and battle cries as grinning inmates from every building all stepped out from their former cells.

Time: 5:05 p.m.

"If that is all, I'll be going back to my post," Lizanna said as she stood up from her chair and approached the door.

"That is all, but keep in mind what I said. Keep a close eye on him."

She nodded her head before exiting his office. As she made her way out of the Officer's Ward and to Level A, she thought about their conversion.

"I'll get straight to the point. Has your partner, Officer Hern, been behaving suspiciously?"

"What?"

The warden crossed his fingers. "Has his behavior changed, even the slightest bit, since you've been working beside him. Has he done or said anything that struck you as odd?"

"I've only been working with him for one day so I can't actually answer your question, sir. I haven't really worked with him long enough to make that kind of judgment."

"What do you think of him then?"

Lizanna shrugged her shoulders. "Well for starters he's rude and pissy all the time, but he's nothing I can't handle. I've been around those types of people my whole life."

The warden gestured for her to continue.

"Uhmm, he and Officer Troy don't get along too well. Though, I believe that's Officer Troy's fault. He doesn't seem to engage in conversation that much with anyone else. Usually, he's just quiet," she said. "But I don't think his behavior is necessarily suspicious."

There was a awkward silence after she spoke.

"I'm going to tell you something, something that you honestly should've been briefed about earlierHave you ever heard of the Vito Mafia Organization?"

She shook her head.

"They're one of the most powerful organizations in the world, related to having taken part in almost every criminal case the police force encounters. Murder, drugs, mayhem, destruction, etc. is what they leave behind wherever they go...good thing I managed to take the leader down and throw his ass in this prison where he belongs."

"Wait, he's here? Who is he?"

Warden Westbrook grinned and repositioned his hands on the table. In that split second, the sun rays filtering from his blinds reflected upon his watch and the word Vito was enscribed in gold cursive letters. "His name is Andrès Vito. He's one of the three inmates at your post. When I took him down, I kept this baby for spoils," he said as he gestured to his watch. " Anyways, keep in mind what I said and report back to me if you see Officer Hern engaging in suspicious acts."

My eyes stayed glued to the ground as I thought about everything I just heard. I was so engrossed that I didn't even notice four massive forms heading my way...or the mayhem occurring outside before it was too late.