Chaos Underground (2)

~5 hours before the chaos~

Lizanna's POV:

"So far Lizanna, you've done very well out here during your patrols with us," Cielo stated with his eyes closed from his relaxed position on the couch. I had just arrived for the start of my afternoon shift when Biaggio told me to report here, in Cielo's office. Now here I was, standing diligently by with my attention locked down on Cielo's lying figure. "It's crazy how you've only just been with us for a little over two weeks, yet your performance and work ethic say otherwise. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that you've been working around here for years."

To emphasize his point, Cielo opened his stormy grey eyes and met my gaze. I blushed at the complement and gave him a genuine smile. "Thank you, sir." 

He nodded his head, then rose up from his lying pose to a sitting one.

"Sorry that I couldn't break this to you earlier, but Andrès decided to have you stationed within the city today. I mentioned to him in passing on how well you've been performing within my faction so, he decided to have you patrol a segment of the city," Cielo spoke as he crossed his leg. "This actually works out well for us anyway ever since we agreed to increase the men within our factions the other day. Plus, you get to gain experience elsewhere so that's a win-win."

I nodded my head. "So, to whom exactly should I report to once I leave? Do I go back to the Vito estate?"

Cielo shook his head. "No, you won't need to waste your time heading all the way back there. The part of the city upon which you'll be stationed is under Beatrix's control. You remember her?"

"Oh, I remember Beatrix alright," I said with a dry laugh. "The woman, as well as her husband and maid, wanted to kill my ass not too long ago Cielo! That experience alone made her very unforgettable in my book."

Cielo gave me a wicked grin before he continued. "Well from what I understand, she's been in need of skilled men to do their patrols underground. Italy has a very large underground rapid transit system that, for the most part, isn't exactly well protected as you would expect. Though it does have some amount of security, the ratio needed does not meet our standards, which makes it quite easier for people to get away with things.

This is a new startup project for Beatrix, so the men she's already stationed there have been at it for a few days now. They'll show you the ropes when you get there, maybe even give you a tour of the damn place like we did with you here," he shrugged.

I didn't want to admit it, but I was going to miss being here.

"Since I'll be transferring to another unit, does this mean that I will no longer be able to come back out to help?" As I asked him this, I crossed my fingers and hoped that his response would be in my favor. Throughout my time with them, the moments spent with Cielo and his men were experiences that I wouldn't change for the world. Though a challenge in itself when he wasn't being an ass, I had a wonderful time getting to know Piero and the guys a little bit better.

~Sometime last week~

"I want to see my baby," Piero cried drunkenly one night after a shift change. The guys and I were lounging around comfortably with beers in our hands in celebration of my first official drug bust that day. "She hasn't seen me in days, what if she already forgot about me." With that revelation, Piero pounded his fist against the table he was hunched over, and like an overgrown baby he wailed.

I stood there confused while the boys barked out in laughter. From the other side of the room, a slightly intoxicated Angelo stumbled his way over to Piero and offered the guy a less than gentle pat on the back. "Come now, there's no way Estelle would ever be able to forget such an ugly face like yours. I know I wouldn't."