Chapter 9: Ice Breaker

With a final grunt, Henry lifted his sword and sent it towards Philip. The other wasn't fast enough with his shield, and the edge of the sword hit his left arm.

The blow was hard, hard enough for Philip to feel it under his protection. He cried out in pain, falling to the ground.

The crowd cheered as Henry let out a triumphant cry, while Philip laid on the ground.

The moderator made his way to them.

"Winner, Henry Golding," he said

There was a loud cheer from the crowd as Henry lifted his helmet off and waved at them with his sword. After waving, a young boy appeared next to him, and he handed over his sword, helmet, and shield. He brushed his jet black hair to the side, uncovering his brown, almond shaped eyes, before heading over to the crowd to shake their hands.

The fight moderator headed over to Philip who had just lifted himself off the ground.

"Are you alright Philip?" He asked

"I'm fine" he answered annoyed, pulling his helmet off

He brushed his blonde hair off his forehead and handed his shield, helmet, and sword to another young boy who had appeared beside him. He too headed to the crowd and began shaking their hands.

Shaking the hands of the crowd after a fight wasn't typical post-match tradition. But in order to become the new leader, you needed to win the hearts of the people. And if they had to do so by shaking their hands after a match, then so be it.

Henry was on one side of the arena while Philip was on the other. Soon, Philip was standing before Gawain and the others.

"Sir Gawain, you made it" he greeted the older man shaking his hand

"Wouldn't miss this for anything. That was some amazing technique out there son" Gawain said

"Thank you, Sir," Philip said before moving along "Morgaine" Philip greeted, shaking her hand

"Philip" she smiled back

He kept going and was now standing in front of Ryia.

"Lady Ryia" he smiled shaking her hand, his lingering a bit longer than expected

"Sir Philip" she smiled back

Neither of them was a "Sir" or "Lady", but it was a running joke between the two close friends

"I thought you weren't coming?" He asked, finally letting go of her hand

"I couldn't miss you getting beat" she teased "Plus something came up and we just had to come see you...and Henry"

"We?"

"Grandad, Morgaine, Alianor, Jacquelyn and I" she answered, pointing to the girls that were standing next to her

Philip looked at the girls, he hadn't seen them around before. He went and greeted them both.

"Nice to meet you two," he said shaking their hands "I don't think I've ever seen you girls around before"

"They're not from around here," Morgaine said

"Well...where are they from?" He asked confused

"Uh...how about we talk about this in private, with Henry, Geoffrey and Ilda" Gawain butt in

"Ok" Philip answered, wondering what Henry and their grandparents had to do with where these girls came from "We'll talk later then"

Philip moved on to the other members of the crowd, and once he had had enough of shaking hands, he left the arena, heading through the door he had come from.