Chapter 10: Preparation is Key

"Congratulations my child. You have found all the new guardians"

Moraine smiled down at the words. She really had found them.

"Now it is time for the next step...finding the table.

In order to beat Caine, the new guardians must first have the powers of their grandparents' elements. The only way they can get these powers is by finding the table."

Under the words, the drawing of a table appeared. On its smooth surface was colorful circular gems, all in different colors.

More words then began to appear under it.

"They must find the color that represents their element. Once they do, they place their hands on it and say 'Magic Table brown and bright, grant us powers of the Sun Queen's  Light'. When they do, the powers will be passed to them. "

Under the words, more drawings began to appear. They were of the gems on the table. Next to each drawing, there was a label, showing which element it represented. Red, fire. Blue, water. White, ice. Green, earth. Magenta, wind.

"One day, the other colors will be revealed to you"

"Morgaine?"

She looked up from the book when she heard her name. Everyone was staring at her and the book expectantly.

"Did it say something?" Gawain asked

"Yes" she answered holding up the book to them "We have to find the table so they can get the powers of the elements"

Uneasy feelings crept up on everyone except Alianor and Jacquelyn.

"Are you sure you can't just grant us the powers using the Sun Queen magic?" Henry asked

"It doesn't work that way" Geoffrey answered "You must touch the gem to get the powers"

"So we have to go to the forbidden forest?" Philip asked

"Yes" Gawain answered, disappointment for the others in his voice

Alianor and Jacquelyn watched the dread on their faces Philip and Henry tried to hide theirs, but it wasn't easy for Alianor to miss.

"What's so bad about the forbidden forest?" she asked

"The fact that it's called the forbidden forest is enough reason for me to be scared too" her best friend answered

"When Caine banished us here" Ilda began "He wanted to be sure of cutting all contact and preventing anyone from ever finding the table again. The force field was a good way, but that wasn't enough. Not only did he curse the waters with vile creatures, he did the same to the forest"

Her head turned to the direction of the forest. Far ahead, behind the houses, she could see the thick trees.

"After the spell, no one has ever gone in there and returned" she finished

Everyone turned their head in the same direction, staring at the dark leaved trees. The dread now began to sink in for Alianor and Jacquelyn, they finally got it.

"Not only do we have to deal with Caine and his shadow people, but we have to deal with shadow creatures too," Jacquelyn said annoyed

Why did she have to be a chosen one?

°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°

The entire South was held captive in their houses, warriors guarding each of their doors. Even King Francis was held captive in his castle. He and his family were confined to the East Wing, while Caine took over the rest. He bossed the servants around like they were his own, and wearing the King's royal garments, not without adding his own dark flare. He had declared himself King, a position he believed was rightfully his.