Chapter 30: Battle for Luxia: Part 5

Again the sound of metal on metal filled the air. An occasional grunt or cry of pain joined the mix. The new Guardians and the Sun Queen were holding their own, defeating every warrior that approached. They were starting to feel the end was near.

As time went by, Caine began to feel the pressure. One by one his warriors fell like flies. But he was determined, he wasn't ready to give up just yet.

It was time to step his game up.

He closed his eyes and stretched his hands out, reciting the spell he had used many years ago.

Morgaine was the first to notice something was off when the warrior in front of her froze. She was in a stance, ready to block its attack, but there was none. Soon the others noticed and stared on in confusion. What was happening?

It didn't take long for their question to be answered. The warriors began to grow. Their limbs were getting thicker by the second. Their skin stretched, not looking as dark and rotten as they did before. Their shoulders broadened and their chests grew, They were starting to look more human.

Caine smiled at the sight. He was making a small army of Abduls. They weren't many, but he was sure they would do what needed to be done.

Henry was the first to make a move. He raised his sword and ran to the new and improved warrior standing in front of him. This warrior needed no weapon like it's former self, and it threw its spear. It easily grabbed onto Henry's sword when he approached and tossed it to the side. The fire guardian stepped back, he did not see that coming.

Moraine saw what happened, and knew it was their turn to step things up.

"Time to lose the weapons," she said

A smirk replaced the fear on Henry's face. He had been waiting all day for this.

Morgaine dropped her weapon, Ryia followed suit. Philip and Alianor, who were on the other side, saw what was going on and did the same. Jacquelyn, who was still floating high in the boat, saw as well and dropped her bow and arrows to the floor of the boat. They knew this was coming, they had been training for it for hours. The people of Luxia stepped back, they knew there was nothing they could do. It was time to let the guardians do what they were destined to do.

The new warriors grunted and flexed, showing their raw strength. They were eager to go against whatever was coming their way.

This time, Ryia was the first to make a move. No one seemed to notice though. It was only obvious when the warrior closest to her found vines and roots growing up its legs. It easily ripped off the vines but was no match for the thick roots of the forest trees. The roots quickly reached its neck and tightened around it. Ryia watch with an intense gaze as the red glow faded from its eyes and its body fell to the ground in a pile of dust.

On the other side, Philip sent a blast of cold air to two warriors approaching him. They began to slow down, getting stiffer by the second. Soon they were unable to move, their bodies frozen in place.

Henry thought of his game with the dragon as the flames appeared in his palms. He had a feeling his friendly creature would have enjoyed breathing fire on these horrid things. He flung his right hand, then left, hitting warriors that were coming at him at opposite sides. He kept repeating the action as he made his way closer to Caine.

Alianor, with the book now tucked in her satchel, formed water spheres in her palms. These ones were bigger than the ones she had made before. She threw one at an incoming warrior, and it engulfed its head. Bubbles escaped its mouth and its eyes widened. Even though these warriors were bigger and stronger, they still needed one thing. Air.

Up above, Jacquelyn had a perfect view of the battle below her. She was able to see the unsuspecting attacks her friends couldn't. A few warriors were coming up behind her best friend, and she quickly spotted them. Her grandfather had shown her a neat trick and she couldn't wait to test it out on these things. From the boat, she pointed her index finger out, right at the warriors. She then started rotating it, making O's in the air. The warriors stopped in confusion as the wind around them picked up. It became harder and harder for them to move forward. The wind started to go around them, and soon, their feet were no longer touching the ground. They were lifted higher and higher until they were almost at the same level as the boats.

"Put us down!" one of them yelled

Jacquelyn's eyes widened in surprise. These warriors could actually speak.

"Very well," she said before stopping her movements

The wind around them instantly stopped. Their bodies plummeted to the ground, and they realized asking to be put down was not the best thing to say. They fell and fell until their bodies hit the ground with a loud thud and turned into dust. Jacquelyn grinned, there was a lot of damage she could do from up there.

Morgaine stood facing the approaching warriors, trying to feel the confidence she portrayed. The guardians had some time to practice using their magic to fight. She, on the other hand, had a book that told her what to do and not an opportunity to practice. She recalled the little she had done with Alistair and Zoricus, then raised her hand towards the approaching warriors.

"Focus," she told herself

And that she did.

A light appeared in the palm of her hand and grew brighter and brighter. It was like she held the sun in her hands. She then thrust her hands towards the warriors and the ball of light hit one of them right in the chest. In an instant, it turned into dust. Morgaine smiled, she didn't think her powers would have just a quick effect on them.

Caine watched as the battle continued. He had underestimated the new guardians and knew that he had to try something else.

Raising his hand, he repeated the spell he had done so many times that day. More warriors were about to show up, and he hoped the guardians wouldn't be able to deal with more than just a few.

Alianor was the first to notice and knew that she had to do something to stop him. She made her way to the opening in the earth, throwing water at warriors as she went. Once close enough to it, and far enough from the nearest warrior, she pulled out that special book that was tucked away in her satchel. That spell she had found the night before, it was now time to use it.

Caine finished his spell, and the sounds of warriors could be heard coming from the crack. The water guardians scanned the words on the page and repeated it.

"Adobumbratis!"

The ground began to shake and the large canyon separating the two groups began to close. Alianor smiled at her accomplishment and was about to return the book back to her bag when she heard the faint voice of her best friend.

"Alianor, look out!"

She was about to turn around to see what was coming her way, but a sudden force pushed her forward. It was a warrior, and he had pushed the unsuspecting guardian into the opening. She screamed as she fell forward, the book escaping her grip. With the gorge getting smaller, she was able to grab onto the opposite side. She held on as tightly as she could, but the hard stones and loose dirt made it harder by the second.

"The struggle of flimsy arms," she thought to herself

Her hands began to slip and she let out a scream.

"Help!"

Behind her, the wall of the canyon came closer and closer. If she didn't pull herself up, she would be sandwiched between the earth. She tried to pull herself up, but she continued to slip.

The last thing she heard before her fingers lost its grip was "The book of Shadow Magic...it's finally where it belongs"