Chapter 23: Family Reunion

Alianor held on to her best friend's hand reassuringly. They were standing against a wall, on the right of a large metal gate.

They were outside the perimeter of Alistair's house.

After defeating the warriors at the castle, their first stop was Zoricus' house. They fought the warriors they met on the way but were surprised to see the house was unguarded. They entered cautiously and soon realized why there was no one there.

Jacquelyn began to panic, worried for her grandfather's well being. He was all the family she had left, she couldn't lose him too. Alianor was the one who calmed her down and suggested that their grandfathers were probably together like they always were.

So here they were, outside the walls of Alistair's house. There was no one outside, but the inside was heavily guarded by the rotten skin looking creatures. They had formed a plan and now waited for the signal.

At the right side of the gate stood Henry, Philip and Ryia. The raven-haired guardian peeked through the gate, observing the area one last time. He then turned to Ryia and nodded, before he got out of the way and she took his spot. She peeked through the gate and quickly found what she was looking for.

Leaning against the vine-covered wall with their eyes closed were two warriors. They seemed to be taking a break.

"Breaks over" Ryia whispered to herself before closing her eyes and concentrating hard

For a few seconds nothing happened, but then the vines on the wall began to move. Slowly, they made their way around the warriors' thin arms, then legs. The other warriors began to notice and shouted to the sleeping ones. But it was too late, the vines were making their way around their bodies and neck, tightening. Their limbs began to get limp, and then their heads dropped. The other warriors were now on full alert.

"Now!" Henry yelled before taking the lead and pushing the gate open

Ryia and the boys were the first within the walls, their swords and axe slashing every warrior they met. Jacquelyn stayed closer to the gate with Alianor.

"Clear the way," Alianor said

Jacquelyn drew her arrows and sent them flying into the warriors that were standing close to the door. They went down and Alianor saw this as her chance to run for it.

"Cover me!" she said before taking off towards the door

Every warrior that came her way, got shot down by an arrow. It didn't take long for her to make it to the door. She was about to grab the handle and open it, but it opened before she could. She looked up and a wide smile made its way on her face.

"Grandfather!" she said as she jumped on the man standing before her

"Alianor," he said, relief in his voice as he held her tight "I'm so glad you're ok"

They separated and he finally decided up to what was happening behind her back. Alistair and the others in the house had heard the fighting outside, and Alistair volunteered to see what was going on. He didn't expect to be greeted by his granddaughter and see warriors being beaten by Jacquelyn and a few young people. Though, he knew exactly who they were.

"Did you say Alianor?" they heard Zoricus coming from inside the house "Is Jacquelyn there?"

"Why don't you come see for yourself," Alistair told him

Within seconds Zoricus was at the door and he pushed the reunited grandfather and granddaughter to the side. His eyes widened at the fighting scene before him. What was going on? Did someone come to save them? Then his eyes landed on Jacquelyn and it got even wider than it was before.

"Jacquelyn!" he called her out

She quickly turned to the voice and a cheesy grin appeared on her face at the sight of her grandfather. He sent her back a proud grin.

"I see those archery lessons finally paid off huh?" he said loudly

"It did"

The smile on his face quickly left his face when he saw a warrior headed for her.

"Look out!" He yelled

Jacquelyn quickly turned. He was too close and she instinctively was to quickly raise her hands to block whatever was coming. But nothing came. Instead, a gush of strong wind came from nowhere and sent the warrior flying across the front yard and into the hard wall. She winced at the sound of its bones cracking on impact.

She then turned back to her grandfather.

"We'll work on that," he said, remember the first times he used his powers

Henry sent the final warrior to the ground and Alistair and Zoricus took the chance to finally leave the house after a few days.

"Ah, fresh air" Zoricus said taking a deep breath

Jacquelyn ran to grandfather and he caught her in his arms. For the first time, the two chatter birds were quiet. There was nothing that needed to be said, they each knew what the other was feeling and thinking.

Henry, Philip and Ryia approached the pairs and respectively nodded at the older men.

"Grandfather this is Ryia, Philip and Henry. They're..." Alianor began to introduce them

"I know who they are," he said before directing his attention to them "It's so good to finally meet the new guardians we've been waiting a long time for"

"It's an honour for us to finally meet you two," Henry said "We've heard a lot about you from our grandparents"

"All good things I hope," Zoricus said

"Yes sir" Henry nodded

Alistair then looked at the girls. "Better go in there and let the others know that you two are ok. They've been worried sick about you"

Alianor and Jacquelyn quickly made their way inside while the older men lead the other inside. Relief and happiness filled the room when everyone realized they were safe. It took a long while for Alice to let go of her daughter. Introductions were made, and soon the Guardians and the men headed out to help the rest of the south, accompanied by some knights. With most of the warriors on the north, defeating the few they met were easy, and soon the Luxians were out and about, checking on their extended families.

When Alianor explained to the men how the got to the other side, they had to see the evidence for themselves. They made their way to the shop, the two older men arguing that it was them who always knew where the secret passageway was. When they finally got to the shop, sounds could be heard coming from inside. They prepared themselves, ready to attack whoever was on the inside. But when a knight opened the door and they entered the building, they were greeted by a friend.

Morgaine.