Sapphire

"Sapphire, please! It'll be fun!"

Tracey, my best friend, grabs hold of my arm as I'm about to walk up my lane. She knows I want to go, even though I'm supposed to be doing homework tonight.

"But if I don't do my English assignment tonight, I'll have to do it tomorrow and then I miss out on my afternoon with Jeremy and girl's night...", I point out, biting my lip, like I always do when facing a hard decision.

"Sapphire, do some of it this afternoon, the rest tomorrow. Jeremy and all the girls will be at the party and it'll be way more fun then a date and girl's night", Tracey claims.

"I don't know... It's a costume party..."

"Costume parties can rock and this one totally will! You know Chris throws the best parties!", Tracey reminds me.

There is truth in that statement. His Christmas party was amazing, with drinks, music, plenty of food, an amazing cake, space, a beautiful tree, mistletoe... I wonder how his parents allow him to do that every special occasion.

Tomorrow is valentine's day, but for some reason he's celebrating it today. Maybe so that the single people can meet a guy to be their valetine, even though love doesn't work like that.

"Okay, fine. But I didn't want to be doing English on valentine's day," I sighed.

"Sapphire, tonight is valentine's day, thanks to Chris. And I'm gonna get myself a boyfriend," Tracey says with a smirk, leaving me wondering if she's going to try to ask her crush, the host of the party, out or get sone random guy.

I tell her I have to go and begin to head home. It's surprisingly warm for February, but the seasons have been going crazy.

I reach my house, unlocking the light brown front door. It opens easily, since our house isn't that old. It's 8 years old, but we've always lived in the same area.

I close the door and take off my blue trainers and jacket, before heading upstairs, where my room is. I check my phone for notifications. Indeed, there's a message from Jeremy.

"Are you home yet?"

I quickly type in a reply.

"Now I am. I'm coming to the party tonight, so I doubt I'll make our date tomorrow... Unless I cancel girl's night..."

Then I head downstairs and put my English assignment on the table after putting toast bread in the toaster. This is my usual Tuesday routine, because my mum is out with the mum's from my brother's class and my brother has football training.

The toast jumps out of the toaster and I put it on my plate before buttering it and placing a slice of cheese on it. Meanwhile I read the first task of my English assignment.

Once I have finished three tasks, I take a break and do one of my favourite things. Drawing.

My hand guides the pencil across the paper, creating geometrical shapes, which only time and effort can turn into a person. I sing as I work, feeling satisfaction, as I see it turn into an almost complete person. Or in this case, fairy.

I don't quite finish it, because I have work to do. And a costume to plan.

~~~

I almost don't notice the phone ring. I'm so absorbed in my homework. I'm sure many teachers wish that more pupils would experience that scary phenomenon. I know Tracy would call me a nerd.

Tracy was, in fact, the one phoning me. I was greated to her normal greeting.

"Hiiiii! Hi! It's me!"

I roll my eyes, "Why are you calling?"

"I was wondering if I could come over before the party and help you with your costume. With me you'll look like a princess!"

That's when I realise what I can be.

"Yes! Of course!"

"Okay, so I'll be over at half past four? The party starts at five", she asks and after I get over my confusion, I apologise, "Sorry, I wasn't saying you can come over... My parents won't be okay with it today. But you gave me a costume idea."

"What? Me?"

"No, goodbye," I say.

"What ar-"

I hang up the phone and grin, before doing homework again. I wish I had something more interesting to tell you, but sadly my day mainly consists of homework and art. But I am social. I do go out and see people. And I spend time on the Internet.

My parents always encourage me to see people and do things. They'll be happy about the party. But with it being their 22nd anniversary, they don't want anybody over. My younger brother Mike is sleeping over at a friends and I'm old enough to look after myself, so they booked a table in a restaurant to have a romantic dinner.

~~~

I walk downstairs in my princess outfit, excited about the night. I was planning to eat good food, dance and chat with my friends. Oh, and kiss Jeremy.

As I was heading downstairs, I saw my mum, who smiled.

"Sapphire, you look beautiful", she commented.

"Thanks mum," I replied and gave her a hug.

Then I headed outside, where an older friend of Tracey and I, Caroline, was going to pick us up. She already had a driver's license, so we didn't have to ask her parents.

After a few minutes of waiting, the two girls appear in front of my house in a blue Ford. Caroline doesn't like her car, but she us grateful that she has one.

When I climb in, they looked a bit surprised by my outfit. Caroline is dressed up as a character from a book she's been reading and Tracey is neko. She is wearing a miniskirt and a small tight halter neck top. I don't know what it has to do with nekos, but obviously she wants a boyfriend.

As we're driving, my phone vibrates. I look at the screen and see a message from Jeremy.

"Sorry, can't come to the party. Got a cough"

I sigh and send him, "Get well soon," before telling the girls.

"Well, now you're in the same situation as us. I've got a spare dress if you need one. Sorry, but I don't think anybody's gonna dance with you while you're in a princess costume," Tracey says and I stare at her.

"Tracey, I'm not going to find a random boyfriend. I still have one. He just can't come," I growl, angry with her for suggesting such a thing.

"Whatever. I bet he's cheated on you before."

"Tracey, they just love each other a lot. I wish I could find someone who I love like Sapphire loves Jeremy," Coraline states.

I smile, gratefully. Maybe this night will still be fun...

A/N: That's it for chapter one. Vote if you liked it and comment your opinion. Constructive criticism is always welcome!