Elias

After Aunt Christine heads upstairs with Sapphire, I am left with no choice, but to enter the dining room. As I open the door, everyone looks.

"Elias," my mother calmly greets me, "Where is Christine."

"She's... Guarding Sapphire."

She looks surprised, my cousin, Laurette, shocked, her father, Uncle Graham angry, Max entertained and my father is hard to read.

"She's being hunted by a vampire due to our scent on her. I'm helping her get him to stop," I explain.

A wave of relief sweeps over certain family members and they continue drinking their blood. I join them, but Sapphire's faint scent reminds me that the person's blood we're drinking had a proper life. They had a boyfriend or girlfriend, a family that cared and dreams, plenty of dreams. However here they were, dead.

I put down my glass, having lost my appetite. My mother throws me a concerned glance, but I respond with a small shake of my head; a signal not to worry.

After dinner people leave. However just as I'm about to, Laurette grabs my hand, smiling at me.

"How about we catch up alone a bit?", she asks and I reply with, "Alright."

I don't really have any choice. I wouldn't mind Laurette if things were different. We'll get married if either of us has not found someone we care about by 2024, which isn't the problem. It's her mother, who's only interested in potential gain.

Laurette leads me to a cosy room with a burning fire and two armchairs. I seat myself on one after Laurette has chosen one. She smiles at me.

"How have you been?", she asks, still beaming at me. Maybe I should just deal with her mother. I think Laurette really does care about me.

"Fine, I guess," I reply, forcing myself to smile.

"Why only I guess?"

"Well, I just got quite stressed with things."

I know not to say Sapphire, however from her expression I can tell that she knows. I mentally sigh, knowing she definitely doesn't like Sapphire because of what happened, but she must now there's no threat of that anymore.

"How have you been?", I inquire.

"Normal," Laurette responds, which means she's just been sat around at home not doing anything. Laurette's family is more proper, because in our case, mother does whatever she wants, sometimes even hunting.

I sadly smile at her, knowing that all the sitting inside can drive her mad. Sometimes she strolls through the grounds with a parasol, because grand ladies used to do that, but that is all she is allowed to do.

We talk for a while, however eventually I say, "I must go and bring Sapphire some food."

"Alright," she uncomfortably replies and hugs me. I return the hug, followed by her kissing me on the cheek. I'm surprised, because it's the first time she's ever done this, however it shouldn't surprise me too much.

I awkwardly pull away, and begin to walk towards the cellar, where the kitchen is. There I find their blood donors and personal servants eating. They stand up, fear in their eyes as I meet them. Inside I'm shivering, knowing what they see in me. The monster I am, who takes pleasure in drinking their blood. However I hide my emotions and ask for some food to bring to Sapphire.

As I approach the door, I groan. Christine isn't there and Sapphire's on the phone with her boyfriend. I hear her talking to him. He seems to be asking a lot of questions, which isn't surprising. I wonder if she told him that we're vampires. Hopefully not.

After the end of the call, I wait a while, before entering, not wanting her to be aware of the fact I was listening. I wonder how she'd react.

As I walk through the door, effortlessly holding the tray with soup, bread, some chicken and a glass with a jug of freshly squeezed lemonade on one hand, she smiles. I'm not sure what the smile's supposed to mean, yet it fills me with guilt. I don't deserve her smiles. I didn't really deserve Laurette's soft kiss.

I seat myself on the edge of the bed, straightening the covers before placing the tray on the bed. I grow tense, knowing I have to tell her something. The problem is, it could cause her to leave and be caught. Should I leave her ignorant and keep her here in my protection or should I come clean, freeing myself from thr burden, but risking her leaving and getting in trouble.

I choose to come clean, opening my mouth and attempt to say the words that my brain has decided is the best way to start.

"I'm sorry... I... I have a confession to make."

A/N: I've still left the cliffhanger. But I wanted to say what Elias did in the mean time!
Feel free to vote and comment and I'm hoping to write a couple of chapters on my way back from Croatia. We went on a beautiful dolphin and sunset boat trip last night.