Sapphire

I creep down the marble staircase, that soon turns into stone. It grows humid and I can hear faint water droplets slipping onto the floor and feel more like I'm in a cave. Is this really the luxurious mansion that is upstairs?

Nearby I can hear a quiet sobbing and a weak groan. There a whispers, making me hesitant to continue. My hand grips the railing, which I can feel something on, but I can't identify what.

I pull my phone out of my pocket and soon realise that I haven't checked it for a while now. However I don't have any signal. Of course.

I turn on the torch and shine it on the rail. I quickly cover my mouth to hide my scream as much as possible. I turn off the torch and when I've calmed down, I realise there's just silence. The sounds from before have stopped.

After a last deep breath, I go down the last steps, my heart beating fast, so fast. I'm nervous about what I'm about to see. Maybe it's just bags of blood though. But I heard voices.

I go down the final step and try to open the door. It's definitely old, probably hundreds of years. It's already slightly open.

So whoever is in there will have seen the light of the torch..., I realise, as the door slowly, but surely, opens, revealing a sight that breaks me.

About five girls and two boys are sat on the floor, staring at me. They are clothed in rags, their skin covered in scars and bruises, as well as dirt. I can see bite marks everywhere except their neck. That surprises me a bit, but maybe biting them in the neck kills them.

My eyes grow wide, "Oh my god..."

They glare at me obviously not sure who I am. Their bitter glares leave me wordless.

"I'm... I can't believe what they've done to you...", I stutter, struggling for words.

A girl speaks, "Of course, you're up at the top. You haven't seen how bad they can get!"

I realise I need to escape. I should have helped the vampire hunters. I need to kill them. They are filthy and disgusting. They are monsters.

My eyes begin to water, as I feel sorry for the humans they've ruined. The lives they've damaged.

Suddenly I hear a snarl behind me, "Sapphire, you idiot."

Max. Normally I'd feel ashamed, because he felt like a big brother to me, but all I feel is hatred. I turn to look at him.

"You... You...!"

"What the hell were you thinking?! You can't just go anywhere!"

I try to hide the fear in me, as I glare at him, trying to make him feel the pain he's inflicted on others.

Elias arrives and is shocked when he sees me. Of course. He doesn't think that I'd be curious at all to see the rest of the mansion.

"What are you doing here?!"

I look up to him, amazed that's all he has to say. I thought he'd try to cover it up or something. However that's all he has to say.

"You monster," I snarl, hoping he cares. But I don't know what to expect.

He turns around and begins to leave. So he doesn't have the strength to face me. I guess he isn't that bad. He orders Max to take care of me before leaving. I hear Max mutter one word.

"Wimp."

I turn to him, causing him to realise I heard. He felt uncomfortable, before saying, "Let's give them some peace."

Only then do I remember the humans in scraps that are lying on the floor, looks of resentment and jealousy aimed at me. I decide Max is right, however I'm going to run off on the way up.

We climb up the stairs again, returning to the main part of the mansion. I feel nervous, scared that Max might hurt me if I attempt to flee, however not scared enough to try not to. We reach the top and I run.

A hand grabs my wrist, a cold hand. Vampires are faster, so of course it was easy for Max to stop me.

I glare at him, before he drags me upstairs. My arm aches from the pulling and when we reach the room, I eagerly escape from his grip.

"You know, it's your own fault," Max claims.

I gasp, amazed that he'd even consider suggesting that, "Oh, it's my fault you're a monster!"

"You didn't have to see them. I gave you the chance to go. Now I have to ask Elias's first."

"You treat them like nothing! You have no soul!", I growl, disgusted.

"Sapphire."

"They are people! They have feelings! They have needs!", I shout at him, ignoring his attempt to get me to listen.

"Sapphire-"

"You're sick! How can you even face me? I might as well be one of them!", I interrupt him.

"Sapphire!"

I shut up, staring at him, wondering how he's going to try to defend himself.

"Are you scared?"

"No."

Max smirks, "See. You know we won't hurt you."

"I-I... I'm not scared because I might as well be dead!", I claim, trying to cover up the truth.

"Sapphire, you're smarter than people think you are. You know if we were going to hurt you, it would have happened by now. Don't pretend you're an idiot. You can't fool me."

It surprises me that Max thinks that. I stare at him, "What do you mean?"

"You've already figured it out. Now I'm going to give you some time to think," Max replies and leaves me alone to think.

A/N: Hello! Can I just state that Mistaken now has 26 chapters of story? How did that happen?
If you enjoyed, please vote and feel free to leave a comment!