Chapter One

"What has mommy told you about trying to climb on the chair?" I tried to hold my laugh as Danielle yelled at Harper in the other room. I looked over at the clock that flashed 12:54 pm, Danielle and I were supposed to go to lunch at one but by the sounds of it we weren't going to make it on time. 

It'd been two years since I left Calabasas and Justin, to say that I was okay would have been a lie but to say I wasn't happy would also be one. In the crib behind me my son stirred in his crib and I froze desperate not to wake him before I finished straightening my now pink hair. 

He was a light sleeper which proved to make motherhood not that much easier. In the year that I had been in New York my life had changed in ways that I had not thought possible. I had had my son who was easily the love of my life and gotten a job at a bar, leaving my life in Calabasas behind and the dog that had reminded me of him to my parents. Two years ago I did not see myself as a single mom living in New York and working as a bartender yet here I was.

I lived in the apartment above the bar I worked at, Tipsy's aptly named, with Danielle who I met last year at the hotel spa. If it were for her I'm not sure I would be able to stay in New York with my income or even be the mother that I am. 

There was a soft knock on the door my door frame and Danielle's face peeked from behind it, "Late lunch?"

I laughed and whispered back, "Yeah, I gotta get him ready anyway." 

She shot me a thumbs up before heading back to her room. I finished my last strand of hair before heading to the crib and picking my son up. Soft whines came from him as I spoke softly, "I know baby, you don't wanna wake up but we're gonna go get food with Dani and Harper."

He rubbed his eyes as I laid him on my bed, ready to change his diaper. Getting out of bed was always a hassle, which must have been a quality he got from his dad. Justin never liked to be woken up and just that thought alone was enough to make me hurt. 

I missed him but not only him everyone: Kylie, Kendall, Ryan, and hell even Za. Although I still talked to Tessa who was still pissed at me from the sudden disappearance nothing felt the same. She had come to the birth but I had only seen her twice since and I knew so little that was happening in her life. I missed her every single day.

Jayce looked up at me and smiled. Jayce Donovan Collins was currently the center of my life and although it was hard being a mom he made it worth my life getting flipped completely. I smiled and set him down to grab my purse before I could turn back around he was already on his way to the living room I followed closely behing. 

"Harper, please come here

"Harper, please come here." Danielle was holding Harper's pants and shoes in her hands as Harper ran around the living room laughing. 

Before Jayce could join in I snatched him up, watching Harper continue, "It's going to be that kind of day I see."

Danielle sighed and shook her head, "I feel like they know when it's our off days."

"Your off day." I corrected, struggling to put Jayce's diaper bag on my back with him still in my arms before finally deciding to put him down. He immediately followed Harper causing me to sigh and look at Dani. 

"Sorry about that, I forgot that they need at least one of us in that place at all times of they'll burn the place down. Whatever." She was right, we worked like managers at the bar but were paid like a buser. Though we couldn't complain, since our apartment was attached to the bar our boss was our landlord as well and charged us nearly nothing for New York rent. 

"We should try to head out, it's only-" I looked down at my phone that displayed a message from Tessa that I put off for the time being, "1:15. We could probably make it there by 1:30. Where'd you put the strollers?"

"Um, Tyler put them in the closet at the bottom of the stairs since they were taking up a lot of space up here." I nodded and waited as she put Harper's pants on here while she had low energy. Tyler was a coworker that happened to flirt with us often, but more me than anything. 

Once at the bottom of the stairs we set up the strollers, allowing me to set Jayce in his and get the feeling back to my arm. It was spring which was probably the second best season for New York, fall being the best. There was a light breeze that hit my face and although I worried about Jayce he quickly played with small toy he had brought, unbothered. 

 While walking to the diner that was only two blocks away I checked my phone finally reading Tessa's message from earlier: I'm in New York with Kylie and Kendall. Could we meet up? I miss you.

I sighed and Danielle looked at me curiously, "What's up?"

"Nothing, Tessa just text me. Her, Kylie, and Kendall are in town, I guess, and wanna meet up." She nodded and looked down to make sure Harper was okay, something we both did too often. 

"You should text her back. You haven't seen Kylie since you left California, right?" I nodded allowing her to continue, "Then go, I'm sure she misses you. I know you're thinking of Jayce but you don't have to take him, I'll watch him. At some point, Nadia, she was one of your best friends."

"It's not just that, I mean it is because when am I ever off work? But it's also the fact that Tessa still has some anger towards me, I know she does and she has every right to, but I don't know about Kylie. Like I just up and left and then didn't call them for two weeks. They are pissed, Dani. I just don't know."

We stood in front of the diner, a younger man holding the door for both of our large strollers. As we sat down Danielle rolled her eyes at me, "You know just because you think everyone does doesn't that they do hold a grudge. Are they a little angry? I'm sure but they need to understand why you did what you did and when they do I don't think they'll be mad anymore.

"I moved up here with you because I didn't have anyone that would miss me, but I don't like knowing that there are people that miss you. Text her back, Nadia."

-------

It's a short first chapter, but it's a first chapter. I know most of you wanted a girl but I have plans for this story already and a boy just fits those plans. Plus Tammy's son is honestly the cutest. But you guys did pick the name although I cut it a little short, I was rooting for Jax but Jayce was my second choice. 

I also wanna point out that there was so much foreshadowing in Falling For You to Nadia getting pregnant. Danielle and Harper (from chapter 25), Nadia throwing up all the time (if that even counts?), and I feel like there was more? I tried my best to hint at it while still being discreet.