Chapter Eight

My stomach turned from the anxiety that Tessa's words caused. I hadn't planned to ever see Justin, let alone prepared myself to see him. My head began to ache as I looked at Tessa, who was giving me a concerned look, "Will you go to the bathroom with me? I don't feel good."

She gave me a sympathetic nod and lead me to the bathroom. The bathroom attendant stood in the hallway but not in the actual bathroom which I was thankful for in this moment. My head was spinning and on the off chance that I would pass out I didn't want anyone to see. I quickly made my way to the sink, grabbing a paper towel, and running water over it.

I rung out the excess water before rubbing it on my neck and forehead with shakey hands. Behind me Tessa watched me, "You'll mess up your makeup, here."

She held out her hand and I put the paper towel in it, allowing her to lightly dab it on my forehead, "For what it's worth you look great tonight. And, listen, we're all here so if things get too much we'll handle it."

I smiled faintly and sighed, "Thank you. I really do miss you Tess."

"I miss you too, a lot less if you would come back with us." She finished wiping my face and threw the paper towel in the trash. As much as that sounded excellent I knew it wasn't realistic.

"I want to, but I have a job and a life here." Tessa rolled her eyes and sat on the sink, "You could find a better job in Calabasas with your degree and you know it."

"I'm closer to my parents here." I gave her an apologetic look before her phone when off in her hand. She read over the text then looked back at me, "They're almost here so we should go back out there, as long as you're ready."

I let out a loud sigh and nodded, Tessa hopped off the sink and held the door open for me to go first. Back at the table everyone was talking quietly until they noticed I was back.

Kylie gave me a half smile and spoke quietly, "I ordered your drink for you, a strawberry-rose spritzer just so you can relax. You okay?"

I nodded slowly and Kendall took my hand from across the table, "They're here. We'll handle all the questions so don't worry. You aren't obligated to give him any answers."

"Well-" Ryan began to retort until receiving a disapproving look from everyone. 

The atmosphere in the restaurant changed significantly seconds later and I couldn't tell if it was me imagining it or if it actually did. But as I looked around the restaurant I could tell that it had because everyone watched as Justin Bieber made is way into the room.

I sat between Ryan and Tessa, and next to Ryan was Kylie, leaving two open seats between her and Kendall. From where Justin stood I could not yet be seen and with my body turned towards Ryan and my head resting in my hand he probably wouldn't notice me until he sat down.

My heart was racing and I gave Ryan worried eyes. He rubbed my hand on top of the table before mouthing, 'Breathe."

And I tried. 

When he finally made it to the table Ryan's hand left mine and stood to greet him. Kendall's voice was loud as she said 'hi' to Hailey, followed by Kylie and Tessa's.

"You guys already got drinks?" My mind focused on Justin's voice over everyone else's. I was now looking down at the table, only being able to see the lower half of Justin, and could feel Tessa's hand pat my forearm in an encouraging way.

Ryan finally sat back down and on the other side of the table Justin put the jacket he was wearing on the back of his chair next to Kylie before sitting down himself.

"Yeah, Kendall's gonna flag down our waiter to get your guy's." As Kendall did just that I turned my head to make full eye contact with Tessa.

She smiled at me but was interrupted by Hailey, "Who's your friend, Tessa?"

I was silently resenting Hailey in this moment because although I knew my presence was going to be addressed eventually I needed a little longer. I didn't tear my look away from Tessa as she turned to answer Hailey, "Uh, just a friend from home. Ohio that is."

"Does she have a name?" Hailey pressed further and after rolling my eyes I finally turned my head to look at her without giving myself time to chicken out.

"I'm Nadia." Instead of reaching my clammy hand towards her to shake I shot her a smile. Next to her Justin's head jerked at the sound of my name. As my eyes met his, his narrowed toward me.

As I waited patiently for his reaction, Kendall came back with the waiter. Justin's eyes stayed locked on mine for what seemed like forever, flashing confusion and also something else I couldn't make out. He eventually tore his look away from me and to the waiter, giving him his drink order, and dismissing any thought of me.

-------

Trying to get back into the feeling of writing again. Let me know what you think.