Chapter Seven

Jessica sits with her knees pulled to her chest in the corner of the room, her head was swarming with the new memories and all of the things she missed. Her dreams, the ones that plagued her head every night, were not just dreams. Instead they were real and terrifying and....real. Phil looks at her from his chair with an expression full of sympathy. 

"Stop staring at me like that," Jessica chokes. "I don't want sympathy."

"Most people do after going through-"

"Yeah, well I don't." She interrupts. "I want to go home and forget this ever happened!" 

"You and I both know that I can't let you do that." Phil sighs as he crosses his arms in front of him. She looks up at him with her tear stained cheeks and red eyes. 

"And you and I both know that if you ever want me to even consider to even step foot back into something that's SHIELD run, you're going to let me go home." Jess sniffs.

"Fine but you will have to come back, when and where we need you." Phil reasons.

"I'll come when asked nicely." Jess bargains. "I don't want to be...knocked out." 

"Deal." He gruffs before quickly standing and walking out of the room without another word. Jess watches the door for a few seconds before she pushes herself to a standing position. She dusts herself off and quickly looks up when the door opens again and Phil steps through. "If you would like a ride home-"

"No." She interrupts. "I don't want to ride in your death trap ever again." 

"If you decide to help us, you'll be in jets." Phil chuckles. "So my car will become a joy ride."

"Yeah, we'll see about that." Jess shakes her head. "Did you know that, with my telekinetic abilities, I'm also able to manipulate myself as I do objects?"

"No?" Phil tilts his head to the side in confusion. "Why is that important?"

"It means that I'm able to teleport, Phil." Jess elaborates while crossing her arms.

"And you know how to do that?" He questions.

"I vaguely remember the torture sessions I was put through to learn it." She half-heartedly shrugs in response.

"Well, good luck." Phil offers his hand for her to shake. 

"Thank you, I'll uh...look for your number. Which I'm assuming is already in my phone?" Jess raises her eyebrows.

"Just give me a call if you need anything." He smiles. "And be careful, Hydra is still out there." 

"I will, thank you, Phil." Jess smiles before closing her eyes. She pictures the living room of the apartment and feels body being pulled forward. Jess blinks her eyes open and falls backwards onto her couch, the one inside her apartment. "Oh my god, I did it." She whispers to herself in triumph. 

"Where the hell have you been?" Jen's voice scolds from the doorway. Jess instantly jumps to look at her and Katie, who both wore looks of disapproval. "I've called you so many times! Katie thought you were actually dead this time!"

"That was you!" Katie argues.

"I...I must've lost track of time at the library." Jess lies. "You know how I am with books!" 

"Uh huh." Jen scoffs before stalking off to her room. Katie sighs and falls down on the couch next to Jess. Katie wraps her arm around Jess's shoulders. 

"She was really scared, you know that right?" Katie mumbles. 

"I was only gone an extra hour." Jess grumbles. 

"In New York." Katie shakes her head. "I mean, you get lost all the damn time." 

"You've got a point." Jess chuckles and her head falls back.

"Are you okay? Did a book fall on you or something?" Katie jokes.

"It's not that far off from what happened." Jess admits with a small shrug. 

That night, Jess sat on her bed and stared at the wall. She was intently listening to Katie and Jen each getting ready for bed. If she could hear them, then that meant they could probably hear her and that made her stomach twist as she remembered the events from last night. Jess takes a deep breath and leans back on her hands. 

"Goodnight bitches." Jen calls from inside her room. Katie grunts in response before the apartment goes silent. Jess swings her legs onto her bed and tucks them underneath her body before looking down at her hands. She stared down at them with purpose and anger, trying to mimic how her instructors at Hydra had done so many times. 

"Do it again, light." She hisses while pinching her arm to mirror the pain that they would have given her. "Let's go you pathetic piece of shit, light."

Jess stops pinching herself and tries to do what she had done at SHIELD hours before. She closes her eyes and concentrates on focusing her energy in her hands, willing them to light. A crackling sound catches her off guard and Jess quickly opens her eyes to see a flame growing in her left hand. Slowly, she turns her hand around to watch the flame dancing across her skin, only tickling her slightly. For once in her life, Jess had full control.