Chapter Fourteen

"I'm not going over there." Jess shakes her head. Damien sighs and looks back at Seth, who was sitting in the sun across the sidewalk from them, his hair was still soaking wet but his shirt only had a few wet spots on it. 

The four of them had taken refuge behind a large tree in the shade. It gave them the perfect view of Seth, but he could not see them at all. The guys were trying to convince Jess to go over to Seth and try to talk to him, but she was refusing. 

"Why not?" Ian whines.

"Because I'm not the one that pissed him off." She replies while looking at Alex.

"I took a damn video and sent it to the family!" He groans. "He's the one that fell into the fountain!" 

"What happened to the whole 'we're a team that needs to help one another' speech I got half an hour ago?" Jess inquires. 

"That was for you." Alex argues. "He's just crabby because we want to find his secrets." 

"I don't think that's it." She rolls her eyes while pushing herself to her feet. The boys watch her quickly walk down the hill and across the path. She climbs up the second hill and falls next to Seth with a sigh, the guys don't move from their hiding spots. 

Seth watches Jess as she walks up to him and falls to the grass beside him. He doesn't open his mouth to speak, allowing her to do it if she truly needed to say something. "Are you mad at me for running or something?"

"No." Seth grumbles. "I'm just...trying to be the image my father set forth."

"And you falling into the fountain doesn't help that." Jess finishes.

"Exactly." He gruffs. "What team is going to respect you when you make a constant fool of yourself?"

"You don't make a constant fool of yourself." She denies.

"You've been with us for about a week." Seth deadpans. "Just you wait."

"You want to know what I think?" Jess offers. He nods without saying anything. "I think you need to keep doing this kind of crap, make them laugh and think that they're more of a family than a team.

"In the end, it will help more. You won't fight as much because things aren't stotic and set. You guys will be able to joke with one another without it hurting someone because they know you're joking. Overall, your team would be stronger if you act more like a friend than a leader." 

"How would you know?" Seth demands.

"It's how my mom used to act, you'd think I'd still be in LA if she was just...I don't know...a mom." Jess replies. 

"Well, that's solid advice." He shrugs. "Thank you, I just don't think I'm going to jump in anymore fountains." 

"You don't have to." Jess laughs. "Just...be the person that they think you are. Don't be Captain America the second, be Seth. That's who you are and you can't change it." 

"What about you?" Damien inquires while sitting down next to the two. Neither of them had seen the guys show up, yet no one questioned a thing. "Who are you, Jessica?"

"I am Jessica." She rolls her eyes.

"But who are you?" Alex questions. "You know about us, we know nothing about you." 

"I'm a girl who loves to read. I invent things when I can and I can almost always be caught with a computer. Whether it be on Netflix or YouTube." She chuckles. "I don't like drivers, they're all just stupid in their own ways, and I hate the people who believe that they're one hundred percent better than everyone else."