Episode 5: The Talk

I rushed into the office in confusion, never in my four years of attending Berklin Middle School have I ever been called into the principal's office and I honestly don't remember doing anything bad

Or like, anything at all for that matter because I do nothing.

"Shorty, what are you doing here?" Haz asked when we both saw eachother, staring at one another with surprised eyes as he walked over to me, readjusting his snapback as I refrained myself from commenting about his nickname for me.

Ever since we got into middle school and he got his stupid growth spurt and grew taller than me, he never lets me live it down and always calls me shorty.

Or shawty, I can't really tell at times...

"I don't know, I got called to the principal's office." I informed as we walked side by side down the hall to the door at the end.

"Hey same here." Haz said, rubbing the palms of his hands and peering down at me with a raised brow as I looked up at him.

"What did you do?"

"The hell you mean what did I do," He mimicked, moving his neck like a sassy woman when he imitated me as I playfully rolled my eyes at him with a small smile.

"Oh, it's cause I'm black huh, huh, what got you in trouble little miss frizz, you hiding weed in your uggs?" Haz teased, childishly nudging my leg with his knee as he smiled, bouncing around me while I continued to walk to the principal's office with a straight face.

"Bounce any closer and I'll hurt you." I said in all seriousness, pausing at the door to smile at him as he stopped, his jaw dropping in an overdramatic manner before he placed his large hand over his heart.

"You be ganging too...." He said under his breath in mock shock making me grin, shaking my head at him and shoving him away as he chuckled before we both entered the principal's office.

The two of us froze when we saw them sitting there with guilty looks on their faces, slumped low in their chairs as our principal Mrs. Nelson held a strict tight lipped expression sitting at her dark cherry wood desk with impatience.

Should've known it would be because of them.

"Ma?" Haz said in disbelief as Nat sunk lower in her chair, awkwardly scratching at her afro before she nodded at her son with a nervous smile.

"Dad?" I questioned, looking over at my dad who was next to her, leaning forward in his chair, his elbows resting on his knees as he rubbed his temples, raising his hand in a greeting but not saying anything else.

"What's going on?" I asked, staring at my dad and Nat before turning my attention to Mrs. Nelson.

Dad and Nat both suddenly burst into sporadic explanations in unison, their frantic voices overlapping each other making it impossible to hear whatever they were saying as they straightened in their seats, rushing to try and explain themselves.