Episode 8: Grading

Haz and I kissed back in sophomore year

We never really talked about it afterwards, like you would think in most of these kind of cases between best friends it would be really awkward or one person would overthink the whole situation.

It was the exact opposite for us in this case, like it never even happened and we just continued to treat other the same way afterwards.

Sometimes we would randomly bring it up while hanging out, like last week when I was chilling at his house.

"Yo Tals." Haz suddenly said, nudging my knee with his on his couch as I played on his PS8.

"Yeah?"

"Remember when I kissed you?" He asked as I stared at the tv screen, completely absorbed and distracted with the game.

"Yeah you were good." I told him, violently pressing the buttons on the controller.

"Yeah?" Haz smirked.

"Yeah." I said, not even paying attention as I defeated the game with a triumphant cheer.

I've replayed that memory a lot, so much that I realized that Haz never told me whether the kissing on my part was good or not- like what if I'm really bad at kissing and that's why we're still casually just friends.

And here comes the overthinking.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I realized that Haz and Barron darting from the start line, the both of them running at lightning speed towards the finish as I resumed my cheering, jumping up and down with the other cheerleaders who tried to distance themselves from me.

I inched closer to them as they tried to avoid me, making me bite my lip to keep from laughing before I watched Haz advance forward ahead of Barron, the muscles contracting under his melanin skin, his curls shining with sweat and his green eyes ablazed with determination before Barron caught up, the two head to toe.

Haz sprinted farther and passed the finish line a hair before Barron, just like I knew he would as I smiled while the cheerleaders squealed and cheered, vigorously waving their pom poms in the air.

"Tie!" The coach whistled making my smile immediatly drop as Haz and Barron caught their breaths.

"What!? You're calling that a tie again!?" I exclaimed in anger, knowing the coach had some type of prejudice attitude towards my best mate as I marched over to him, the cheerleaders immediatly quieting, whispering to one another while the coach looked around.

"Who said that!?" He demanded, spit flying out of his wrinkly mouth as I took off my oversized mascot head, strands of my frizzy hair sticking to my sweaty forehead from being stuck in the large lizard uniform for so long under the sun as I pushed my glasses up the bridge of my nose.