Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Damien's Point of view.

I brush my hair from my eyes one last time only to have it fall right back back where it was. I sigh and set the small, red comb back on the sink. I check myself out in the mirror.

The old dress pants I had only gotten for occasions like this fit snug on my legs. My long sleeved button up shirt was a crisp white color, I'd never worn it before. My shirt is accompanied with a black tie.

I look pretty fancy-well more dressed up than I have been in a while, I like my ripped up worn jeans and band tee's- too bad I was dressed up like this for a horrible event. Sam's funeral.

I wasn't sure if I should go or not but I really did like the kid- even if he had no clue- plus it would give me a reason to escape Devin. She's been acting sluttier than ever. Maybe I should give in and let her have what she wants. I'm pretty sure she only wants sex from me because her dad would surly be pissed. He really does hate me...

I skim over myself once more then walk out of the guest bathroom. Someone was waiting me...

"Hey," I ruffle the boy's hair.

"What the hell?!" he combs his fingers through his wavy light brown locks.

I guess it's sorta like a circle. Devin tries to sex me up, I playfully bully Joel, and he complains to his sister about how much he hates me and thinks it's stupid that she lust after me. But it's fun messing with Joel because of his reactions.

"Aww," I coo, "I just fixed your hair. Why'd you mess it up again?"

He glares sourly in my direction, I just smile it off and continue to mess his hair up once more before proceeding towards the front door. I frown at how warm it is out side. I really need a car, first I'd have to get a job. My mom and Rick, her new husband, aren't the type to just pay for things. I don't mind it though, I like working for things. It makes me treat them better.

Once I'm out of the neighborhood I remove the small white box of cigarettes and cheap dark green lighter from my pocket and take out a cigarette. I glance around just to make sure no one I knew would spot me. Once I know for sure the coast is clear, I light it up. Bringing it to my lips I smile happily and take a long drag. I didn't smoke too much but I'd hadn't in a while so I took in as much of the addicting drug as I could. I exhale and watch the white smoke evaporate into the air.

I finish up my cigarette and toss it onto the ground, stomping it out as I pass by. I was fairly close to the funeral home. I saw the brown dull sign in the distance.

My pace increased as I got closer. I was ready to get out of the heat and into the hopefully air conditioned place. I noticed a small amount of cars and a large van in the parking lot. Am I even aloud in? Well there's only one way to find out. I open up the glass door and that weird funeral home smell makes me gag. That's the one thing I hate about these places.

I casually walk into the room where everyone seems to be. Apparently I was kind of late and it was now the part where people just got to go up and say goodbye. I pass everyone up and go directly to the coffin. Sam was pale and lifeless, as all dead people should be. Seeing him once again got me to thinking, what if I never like anyone else? What if he was my only chance at happiness.

"Excuse me?" a woman in black, how lovely, snorts. I turn to her and raise my eyebrow. "Who are you?"

"Damien." I answer emotionless.

"How do you know Sam?" she asks. This lady was really starting to bug me...

"He went to my school. I-" I stop myself before I say anything else. I'd never talked to Sam, he probably didn't even know my name. "I just wanted to say goodbye and all. I never got to when he left. I'll be going now." I turn on my heel and walk away before the woman can respond.

I spot a bathroom right as I'm leaving. That when I realized how much I had to go. I venture over to it and pull. It doesn't open. My eyes widen and I hope no one saw me. I then push the door. Nothing.

I knock and after a few seconds of no answer I jiggle the knob hoping to get the person's attention.

"Just a minute.." A guy mumbles. His voice is sort of panicky. I tap my foot on the dark red carpeted floor as I grow inpatient. I knock again.

"Hurry up, I really got to go!" I groan.

Then the door makes a clicking sound and it's pushed open.

"Maybe learn to be patient..." the somehow familiar guy mumbles as he passes.

"I'll learn to be patient when you learn to not lock public bathrooms."

The boy turns around. That's when I realize who it is. He was the kid next to Sam in the newspaper...Noah..I think.

"Well maybe if this funeral wasn't for the best friend I ever had and ever will have, I wouldn't be crying! Then I wouldn't have to lock the fucking bathroom door!" he screams.

I freeze. He actually befriended Sam, made him happy. Something I'd never be able to do.

I smile faintly at him. The best thank you I could think of. He made the only person in this world that I ever cared about happy, now I feel the need to make him happy as well...

--

I'm sorry this took a little longer than I said...but I have my phone back and I'm getting my laptop back soon too so I'll get back to my normal updating pace.

Oh! Also if you are reading my other story, This Summer's Checklist, I want to say sorry for taking forever to update that too. It was on my iPod and I locked it so I can't write anymore until I get my laptop back so I can connect to iTunes....the new chapter should be up sometime this week. (I hope)

Thanks for all the votes and comments so far!!

-Sky