Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Damien's Point of View

As I walk into my unnecessary therapy session I spot the very familiar brunette from Sam's funeral curled up in one of the comfy chairs. He notices me right away and stiffens up.  At first I was going to walk over there and sit next to him but I didn't want to freak the kid out so I walk to the opposite side of the room.

My eyes stay attached to the broken boy as we wait. Every now and then his eyes will meet mine then he'll quickly blush and look down. I must admit it was quite cute to watch him cruse my name-even though he didn't know it-under his breath. Noah is a rather interesting boy.

His name gets called and he wastes no time darting up and following the woman who called it. I frown a little because now I have nothing distracting me from being bored. Sighing I take out my phone and text Colby, I hadn't seen him in a while. I'm actually starting to miss the kid. Getting no response before I'm called back I sigh in frustration and slide the phone back into my pocket.

Once I’m free to leave this hell hole I walk straight to the door and as soon as I open it I hear the faint voice of a boy. I’m the curious type so I automatically follow the whispers until I can make out what the person is saying, better yet who the person is. I walk down the alley way next to the therapist thinking the voices are coming from behind the building. The whispers from the boy grow louder and louder yet still I couldn’t decipher what he was saying.

“Hello?” I felt my heart beat faster when I discover no one was behind the brick building. I heard someone talking, right? Was my mind playing tricks on me like the time at the field? I just want to know what’s going on!

I scan over the vacant lot making sure I didn’t miss anything. I start to head back but something stops me. I notice something shiny on the ground and pick it up. I turn the key around in my hand a few times before noticing there is something engraved in it. I bring it up to my face so I can clearly see the roughly carved words.

I have never been the one lovey dovey stuff but I couldn’t help but smile when I read “My Heart”. Whoever this belongs to has someone who cares about them a lot.

 I’m not sure why but for some reason I slide the key into my pocket. Maybe it’s because I don’t think something that special should be laying on the dirty ground. Or maybe it’s because deep down I wish I had someone close enough to me to give them the key to my heart. But for whatever reason I do I can’t help but to feel like I’m the one who’s supposed to take it.

When I arrive home I get a nice surprise. Colby sits waiting crossed legged smiling. As soon as he spots me he jumps up and joins me. “Where to?” He asks knowing we would not stay here. We hardly ever stay at my house but since Devin is here I really do need a reason to not be home.

“Don’t be gone too late,” My mom calls after me, “tonight we’re going out to eat.” I mentally groan and give my mom a thumbs up letting her know I won’t be home late.

“Well Colby I’m not sure where to go, how about you pick.” I smile down at the short boy. He’s usually the one to pick where we go seeing as how I never care where I am- as long as it isn’t home- and well he’s just better at this kind of stuff.

“Well when I went to the mall the other day to get some new clothes I noticed there was a movie that looked really cool.” I nod telling him to go on. “It’s a comedy so I won’t get scared and waste ten dollars.”

“Alright movie it is.” It’s a good thing I stuffed twenty dollars in my pocket this morning. The money was actually for more cigarettes but my mom got me too early so I didn’t have time to go to the one store that’ll actually sell them to me. I’m running low so I might actually have to sneak out tomorrow and get some more.

As we walk I slide my hand into my pocket and curl my fingers around the key smiling to myself. One day I’ll have someone important enough in my life to give them something like this. One day someone will love me as much as I love them. Well at least I hope.