Telling stories as a way of therapy

We all have an innate need to tell our story. It is the most powerful form of human connection possible. You can see this being used everywhere, especially by advertisements and in magazines- they are always personalized by interviews and written stories about someone's life in intimate detail. Showing their feelings and emotions. Meant to make us feel a connection to them, or the product they are promoting.

Telling our own stories helps us, personally, form our own ideas about our personal identities.

But it is also hard to tell our story to someone, for fear of judgement and rejection. By telling your story however, you can take into context the things you have done in your life and how you have dealt with them. Maybe you can think of some things that you didn't think mattered, or was worth something.

Of course, who you tell it to has as much impact on how the story telling can affect you.

Someone who is dismissive and judgmental will only worsen your feelings of identity and self-belief. Finding someone who can agree with your achievements in life, support them and reinforce them can do wonders for self-esteem and confidence.

If you have followed the official book the whole way through, you are aware that I am a strong believer in sharing your stories with others, whether it is what you did on the weekend, or your journey to diagnosis, sharing our stories helps us know we are not alone.

So, if you feel like you would like to share your story with me. Someone who will not judge you and will not reject you, then send me a message. I am aware this is an incredibly personal thing, and under no circumstances will I share anything that you have said to me with anyone else.

But this is a proven therapy, and though I am no therapist, I am a listener.

I hope that I find all of you well this month!

Rachael

x