The Writer and Depression

An ongoing myth or based in truth? The perpetual story of the tortured artist, is it true that the best writers have a mental affliction?

Writers battle with Depression at a higher rate than the rest of the population.

Typically, writers isolate themselves to do their craft, so is it this isolation and daily introspection that lends itself to writers being more susceptible to having Depression?

If you list the lifestyle factors that can contribute to have Depression, then it begins to become a little clearer.

Isolation, introspection is just the beginning. You also sit inside, away from the sunlight. You stay up late into the night, or wake up at unusual hours to write. Lack of exercise- let's face it, who can write and walk at the same time?!- and poor diet. Why cook when you can write! Right?

Of course, there are the childhood experiences and biological susceptibility, but there is something else about being a writer that leans towards the big D...

Rejection.

It's not nice, no one likes it, yet as writers we actively bare ourselves, our writing and our souls to an awaiting audience that would happily tear it all apart.

So, writers are prone to Depression. What should surprise you though, it the perpetual myth that writers enjoy having Depression. Like with any artist, the 'outside' world view the tortured artist thing as something that gives you an edge, a view of the world that makes your writing better, deeper, more meaningful.

Frankly, that is complete rubbish, and has me shaking my head out of frustration and sadness- part of the visible campaign is about destroying harmful myths like that in the writing and reading community.

No one enjoys having Depression, and in fact, Depression destroys creativity. How can you spin tales of love, adventure and happiness when your living in a dark hole where feelings are numbed and your brain is foggy? When you are Depressed, you have no energy, and writing a book takes a lot of energy. Motivation is hard to come by and courage goes out the window.

It is a harmful stereotype that Depression and being a writer go hand in hand, and one that needs to stop.

June is Depression month at #visible, so for tips on how to write effectively when Depressed, and other articles on Depression then check out the rest of the chapters in this book.

What do you want to know about Depression? Anything from symptoms to character questions... Let me know by commenting, and I will do an article answering all your questions!