'Sin' Book Review

Sin. Catchy title and the name of the main character- protagonist or antagonist, you decide...

This month's Featured Author is ShaunAllan, author of the book Sin, a horror and psychological thriller. You can read it for free on his profile, or buy a paperback copy- which is what I did when I met Shaun at the London WattCon in December last month.

Horror isn't usually the genre i would go for when reading a book

Horror isn't usually the genre i would go for when reading a book. I tried writing it once but scared myself silly with what my mind came up with. But perhaps that is what makes Sin so good... is he a figment of your imagination, or are you a figment of his?

This book is a blend of 'wow this guy is crazy!' and finally, someone who understands where i'm coming from!'

I think this is why this book works. On paper this is a character who you would think you would not relate to in any way. But once you get reading, you start... getting him.

This is a book told all from the first person perspective of Sin. So you get to see deep... deep.. deep... into his mind. For the majority of the book, i feel the main idea is Sin wrestling with suicide, a key theme that runs through out the book. Something that resonates deep for me as a reader, and for a lot of others I'm sure. But perhaps someone else reading it may find themselves picking up on another of the key themes and connecting to that. I think this is a skill that Shaun has effortlessly combined with his writing- the ability for everyone reading it to get something different from the story. And there certainly are a lot of themes- family, trust, justice and mental health just to name a few.

By the end of the book I can guarantee that you will be shocked- the twists and turns throughout are brilliantly constructed.

The mental asylum is suitably creepy and for anyone who has ever been in a hospital the sterile, whitewashed corridors are a familiar setting. The mistrust of doctors- rightly and wrongly placed- is also a familiar feeling. In reality they can often feel like they are the villain of our own stories, or the hero teaching us new things about ourself. And though Sin is learning about himself throughout the book, it is ultimately the doctor who shows him who he really is.

You should read this book if you like plots that get you thinking even after you've put the book down. The narrative is really different and incredibly witty and the characters are relatable (whether you want to admit it or not). You need this book in your library!