Emotion Commotion

An Article by CJ_Callahan

Stories...why do we write them?

It's a very simple question that seems to trip up the average writer. Frankly, using the answer; 'because we want to,' seems a little...inept.

The correct answer – or the one that best fits - is that we write to express emotion.

A story is not a story unless it makes the reader feel something. A writer cannot write without feeling invested in their craft. I would not be writing this article unless I felt passionate about the inspiration. One way or another emotion plays into every fibre of the storytelling process.

So, what happens when 'emotion' is something the writer doesn't express within the parameters of normal?

Livingautism.com, conducted a recent study on Emotional Intelligence (EI) with individuals diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD). It found that people with autism scored significantly lower in EI tests than their so-called 'normal' peers. They hypothesize that this may support the long held belief that one of the defining traits of autism is that it limits a person's ability to understand normal expression of emotion. For example, it is suggested that those with ASD will display problems with communicating, understanding other point of views and perspectives, developing and maintaining interpersonal relationships, and transitioning into new situations.

The implications of this, within the creative writing community, is interesting to consider. It certainly creates an ethical conundrum. Do we, as creatives and writers, marginalize writer's with autism? Do we unintentionally write them off because their fiction does not express emotion how we like it?

I was recently at a writer's conference filled to the brim with industry professionals. At every lecture, class, and keynote the audience of budding writers was reminded that expression of emotion is the key to great fiction. If this is true, then does the industry have room for those who express emotion differently, or, is it time the industry revaluated the definition of emotive expression?

A quick google search will provide a list of famous people with Autism, or those who have been speculated to have an ASD diagnosis. Incredibly successful writers such as Lewis Carroll and Dan Harmon are both believed to have autism. Not to mention the string of amazing musicians, fashion icons, and actors who all carry the label. It seems that their autism never stopped them from impacting the world with their art on an emotional level.

Whether or not the industry can understand how someone with Autism expresses themselves seems irrelevant. The important message here is that they can, and do, express great depth of understanding.

Writing is a medium for me to express emotion and I am certain that is no different for someone with Autism who values the art. Like every rookie, at the start of their career, I am learning and absorbing so much in order to develop my craft. I do not struggle with emotive expression, it is my bread and butter, but I do struggle with technical writing and grammar. Having met writer's with autism I can assuredly say they have a fabulous grasp of the written word, but they may lack emotional connection, or perspective.

The wonderful thing about writing communities, exactly like wattpad, is that we can help each other in our weaknesses by sharing our strengths. I have been well tutored, put through my paces, and forced to be a better writer by those who are champion technical writers. In return I have helped dozens of writers gain emotional perspective by helping them connect with their character's thoughts.

This is the delight of being within a positive community that embraces difference. The industry – and the majority of society – will only see the label of 'autism' or 'learning disability' but we do not have too. We, as fellow writers and readers, can support each other to be better. To improve, and to grow, so that someday the label won't matter because we will have smashed the cliché archetype.

---

This brings Autism month to an end! What a great month it has been for our community, so many stories and personal experiences have been shared. Each one will help writers gain a more in depth and rounded idea of what this condition is like to live with, and hopefully help them create more rounded and in depth characters in return!