[2]

Picture: Cole.

[Kimmie]

“You going?”

Cole asked as he and Kimmie made a beeline to a table outside for lunch. The school was hosting a sleep out over the weekend. The tables in the outside lunch area would be put aside. It was from 5pm till the next day.

They were going to talk about school events, academics, and scholarships. They were also providing food as well as games. The flyers had been posted all over the school. “I have so much homework.” Kimmie honestly didn’t want to go. She had all these worksheets just for the first day.

“It's not til the weekend you have time.”

“I guess” Kimmie bit into her sandwich.

“You mind if I sit here?” Kimmie looked up to see Shae standing in front of them holding an apple, and a turkey sandwich.

“Hey Shae. This is my brother, Cole. Cole, this is Shae my roommate's girlfriend.”

Cole only gave Shae a head nodded as he took the rest of his Pepsi to the head.” You going to the sleep out?” Cole wondered. Shae shook her head. “I was thinking about it, but probably not. I’m not into  big crowds” Shae bit into her apple. “Social anxiety?” Kimmie questioned.

Shae nodded. “Yeah, something like that.”

“Where is Alex?”  Kimmie watched Shae pitch her apple core in the trash can next to her. “Girl, she doesn’t talk to me when she’s in class so I couldn’t tell you.” Kimmie laughed. “She’s focused on her studies.”

Shae smiled rolling her eyes. “You guys got class after this?”

Cole nodded. “Honor studies.” Shae looked impressed. “A few of my friends are taking honor studies for their doctorate degree. That's a six year program. Entirely too much school for me, but kudo’s to you Cole.”

Cole laughed a little. “It's where the money’s at.” Shae shrugged.

“I’m normal. I have history class.” Kimmie told Shae.

Shae laughed eyeing her sandwich. “I wasted four dollars. I don't even want this anymore. Cole reached over the table taking it from her. “I gotta go. Bye ladies” Cole hugged Kimmie, and waved to Shae before walking off in the opposite direction.

“So, I’m just gonna get this away real quick. Your brother is fine as hell.” Shae told a confused looking Kimmie.

Kimmie started laughing. “If Alex heard you she’d probably kill you. That’s if Brittany doesn't strangle you first.”

Shae laughed. “I’m just being honest. Whose Brittany?” Kimmie threw the remains of her burger away. It wasn't very good.

“Long story short. She and my Brother are REALLY close friends. Emphasis on really.” Shae nodded. “I can dig it. You’re not gonna tell Alex though right?” Shae asked with an innocent smile, and a laugh

“I should, but I won’t” Kimmie teased. “But hey -- I thought you were gay?”

Shae nodded. “I’m bi-sexual, but I lean toward the female side more, but I can definitely appreciate a fine brother like your brother.”

Kimmie made a face. “Okay. Shut up. I’m starting to get disgusted.” Shae laughed. “I’m gonna go. I have class in the next five minutes.” Shae slung her backpack across her shoulders before running off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was just Kimmie and four college textbooks all scattered across her bed. It was that way for about two hours until Alex came in texting on her phone. “Hey.” Kimmie greeted. Alex looked up from her phone. Giving Kimmie a head nod as if to say hello back.