[10]

“Kimmie!” My cousin Brandy yelled out to me.

We were staying at my Uncle Eddies. He had a house full of eight rooms, and I was sleeping in the same room with her.

When Brandy and I were younger we were very close. Attached at the hip, but when I turned ten we moved out to Massachusetts.

My Dad had a job offer there that he could not refuse.

Nevertheless she was still favorite cousin. Though we didn't talk much. I took off full speed towards Brandy. It failed as I smacked into her, and we bounced into the concrete. I skinned my knees, and Brandy skin was rubbed away from the driveways rocky texture.

My aunt handed me a bottle of alcohol, and few cotton balls once I'd gotten settled into a  room with Brandy. Brandy shuffled through her suitcase hanging up her clothes, and putting her things away while I tended to my knees.

The alcohol burned like hell, but I used it so not to get an infection.

“I haven't spoken to you in a year. How you been cousin.” Brandy asked. She lie on the bed watching me put away my own stuff.

“Girl, good trying to make it out of college.”

I pulled some more essentials from my suitcase placing them on the bathroom sink in our room.

“What did you wanna do again? Business?’

“Yes, girl it is not easy.”

Brandy sat up kicking her bare feet back, and forth. Brandy was tall in comparison to my short stature. She had always kept her hair short, and had been dying it blood red for the past four years.

“See that's why I just work. I don't have time for exams or no crazy tests. I was in school for to long to go back.” Brandy spoke with distaste helping me put the rest of my stuff up.

We pushed the empty suit cases into the closet before flopping onto one bed together. We laid in an awkward position talking, reuniting all over again.

Brandy was showing me pictures of a guy she was talking to. He was alright looking. Brandy giggled when I made a comment about how ashy his knees were in a particular photo.

“Girl, look though.” I took her phone eyeing the dick pic that he'd recently sent. “Girl, what in the hell are you gonna do with that?” Brandy let out a strained sigh. “You  know I'm a little shallow. He is too small for me, but I'm feeling him so heavy.”

We both untangled from each other hearing Uncle Eddie call us down to the basement. We jogged down the stairwell together opening the door that lead to the basement before jogging down those flight of steps too.

Everybody was sitting down. Food was on the table top. I took a seat beside Cole . Brandy say by me. My other  cousins. The eight of them were still teens in high school or younger. I had about four uncles and aunties who'd flown down here as well.

We said grace before eating.

“Cole, who has you quiet and smiling.” My Auntie called him out as I passed Brandy the macaroni.

“That Brittany girl.” My mom said it with a head shake.

I knew damn well it was Shae. Brittany has never made him smile that damn hard.

Cole sighed, but said nothing because if he brought up Shae they'd start interrogation. We sat around even after the food was eaten.  Talking as a family.

“Kimmie, are dating?” My uncle asked me. My teenage cousin peeped up saying that they were before the attention made its way to me again.

“School first.” I said. My Dad's face seemed to relax. “Do you like anybody?” my younger cousin asked.