[15]

The cold weather seemed to crawl by slowly, and I was counting down the days to spring break I couldn't take anymore of Ashanti and Alex. I made my way inside the cafeteria surprised to see just Cole sitting there doing a worksheet.

"Where is your sidekick?" I asked pulling my shoulder bag over my head as I took a seat.

[Cole]

"She's hiding from me

"She's hiding from me. I finally asked her to come with us to Massachusetts, and she said she didn't know if she was ready to take that step. I shrugged. "I'm starting to feel like this is a waste of time."

Kimmie eyed me worriedly. "Don't give up so easy. You guys are still current, and she just got out of a relationship that lasted for four years. I'd be feeling the same way too." I watched Kimmie get up and make her way over to the line before it got too long.

I can understand that, but Kimmie just didn't understand. Shae was putting me down on everything. It was almost like she was doubtful of us sometimes. I was really getting tired of it. I understood that she'd just gotten out of a relationship not to long ago, but she agreed to be with me.

I sighed. Continuing to fill out some paperwork.

Over the summer I was going to shadow a doctor for 72 hours. I needed to experience a few things to be accepted into my next few classes next August, and it would be good to get my foot in the door.

Kimmie returned with a plate of fries covered in cheese.

"Why'd you cut you hair?"

I eyed Kimmies blunt cuts. She looked like she'd taken a knife to her hair. She'd spent the last three years being a naturalista. Her hair was honestly her crown and glory. It had to be serious as to why she'd do something so extreme.

Kimmie stuck a few fries in her mouth. Her eyes still looking down at her plate as if somehow the answer would arise from the hot cheese that had been spilled onto her fried potatoes.

"Kimmie?"

Kimmie sighed.

"Cole, promise to keep this between me and you." Kimmies eyes pleaded with me. I nodded as she gave me the scoop.

After she finished off her little story I only shook my head. "I never took you for a dyke Sis." Kimmie threw a fry at me. "Thats offensive. Don't use that word, and I'm not!." Kimmie snapped at me shoveling more food into her mouth.

"That's dumb Sis. If you aren't her type to begin with. What difference would cutting your hair make?" I eyed her quizzically. Kimmie rested a cheek on her right hand, her shoulder rising slowly as she ate the remaining fries on her plate.

"I don't know. I regret doing it. I now have a constant reminder of a bad decision, and I still like her. I want to punch her girlfriend in her face. I don't get it. I can make you feel good, but yet I'm not good enough?"