Chapter 1

The girl in the pink scarf

Chapter 1

The arena lights dimmed, the stage lights dimmed, the roar of the crowd became deafening. We huddled in close hands in the centre heads low on my count of three our huddle broke in what had become an almost ritualistic way. One by one the band made their way to their places, no matter how many times I did this that initial nervous energy never left, taking my mark on stage I mentally centred myself. I no longer heard the screaming of the fans, or the hum of hundreds of lights, I only heard the sound of my own heart beating, dudum, dudum, dudum, as if my heart had somehow made its way to my ears. The opening of the drums behind, followed by the strum of the guitar, pulled me out of my almost medative state and gave me my cue to belt out the first notes as the spot light aluminate me and if possible the cheering became deafening.

While no show was ever exactly the same, after years of touring our debut album, night after night, arena after arena, city after city, we had become in sync the band, the engineers, the crew. As we moved through our now well-rehearsed set, it hit me right in the middle of of my guitar solo, our often over used mantra of it won't be soon before long, was here it was finally soon. As the emotions, the memories, the nostalgia hit me. Often the crowd blurred into each other, a room or stadium full of quiet often attractive woman, screaming adorations at me, at times even throwing worn underwear and bras in an attempt to gain a moment of my attention, sometimes it did sometimes in the right mood, I could make a woman blush 50 shades of red. Tonight as crooned melodies, I took a moment to scan the many faces, as I did she caught my attention. Unlike the others surrounding me her attention wasn't focused on me, the band or anyone else. She appeared to be in her own world, her long rich coffee coloured hair, that flowed past her shoulders floated around her as she swayed to the music eyes closed, head tilted back, I could see that her lips were slightly parted, as I watched her tongue dart out and lick her lips, then biting her bottom lip as the song ended. I was transfixed on her; I had often found a beautiful girl in the audience that I wanted to get better acquainted with on aye... physical level but never in a way where I had an overwhelming desire to brush my fingers across her milk like skin to see if it was as soft as it looked.

"You guys are amazing!! This been one never ending tour, and I can say on behalf of the whole band that as the last audience of this tour your one of the best! It's an honour to share this monuments moment with us. Every single one of you we are thankful for because without you, I'd still be sleeping on friends couches. This was the first song you all made a hit for us and tonight I dedicate it to all the beautiful ladies out there."

I scanned the crowd looking for her again, I couldn't help myself something about her had me wondering, and I was uncharacteristically drawn to her. I found her amongst the hordes of sweaty swaying bodies but this time instead of her eyes being closed she was looking directly at me, not even at me into me, as our eyes met the room disappeared, I felt as if I was standing right in front of her inches away from her as if I lift my hand I could stroke her cheek, when in reality there was barriers, equipment and many adoring fans between us. I continued to sing the overtly sensual harmony that had made our album get to where it was today. It was rare for me to remain in the same spot for any extended period of time while preforming, but I just couldn't move I was transfixed on her I needed to find out who she was. As we moved to the wings to rehydrate before our final encore, I leaned over to our assistant tour manager, my sometimes assistant and one of my always best friends Shawn. "Hey there's a girl, about third row back centre stage, brown hair, black sun dress, bright pink scarf, give her a back stage pass."

He looked at me with eye brows raised, this wasn't the first time I had asked him to give some fan a pass but this was different "Sure, whatever you say Adam, you'll never change." Laughing to himself

He didn't need to know that there was anything about her "You wouldn't have me any other way." I smirked, wiping my mouth with the back of my hand and returning to stage to finish our last show.