25 ✔️

- Michael -

I PLOPPED DOWN INTO THE CHAIR NEXT TO HER BED, DROPPING my bag to the floor and opening it up.

"We didn't learn much today," I began, pulling out the homework that I had been given, "Granted, I slept through most of it, but still"

I placed the work onto a space on her bed next to her hand before I reached back into my bag to pull out the homework I had been given from her teachers. I set it neatly onto the side table on the left of her bed, taking a moment to stare at how big the pile had gotten.

Just a reminder of how much she's missed.

Clearing my throat and turning my eyes away from the growing pile of work, I took her hand in mine and rubbed my thumb against the back of it, thinking.

My eyes came into contact with the bruise on my knuckles, and I bit my lip and held her hand a little tighter.

"It was an accident," I huffed out reluctantly, rolling my head on my shoulders. I could only imagine what she would say to me if she saw it.

What in the world did you do now, idiot?

I could imagine her rolling her eyes, "It really was. I didn't mean to punch him but... this kid, he was giving Luke a hard time. About how he dated the 'psycho'. About how... you know...-and Luke. He looked like he couldn't handle it anymore, so I stepped in, you know?"

I paused, thinking about what she would've said to that, "Okay, I guess it wasn't actually an accident then. But still"

That's not an excuse, Michael, she would say, But I'm glad that you were there for Luke.

"Yeah, me too. He really needs someone right now. Calum's doing okay too, by the way. He said he was going to come by and visit again after his soccer practice tomorrow"

So how are your parents?

"They're alright. They keep saying that they're sorry for the whole dinner thing. Technically it wasn't there fault, I mean they were being black mailed into it" I shook my head to myself. Lydia had really gone through every route possible to make me end up with her, and it was still a little hard to believe, "I keep telling them that it's okay, but they keep insisting that it's their fault. That they're going to pay us back somehow for what happened"

How's my mom?

"Okay, actually. Really, really okay. She's upset about what happened to you. She was.." I scratched the back of my neck with my free hand, and with my hand that was holding hers, I rubbed my thumb over her knuckles again, "She doesn't look at me the same anymore. Like you did. She was really mad that I didn't do anything more to protect you. I'm mad at me too"

Don't be, it wasn't your faul-

"Anyways," I cleared my throat, wanting to talk about something else, "I brought you your ring" I took a moment to stuff my free hand into my pocket, pulling the engagement ring that she had given me back out of my pocket. I looked at it, admiring it's shimmering glints of silver before I began to talk again.

"It's yours to keep. It belongs to you. And even if things are different between us if--when, you wake up, I want you to know that this will always be yours" I took the hand that I was holding and held it up, sliding the ring onto her ring finger before taking a few minutes to admire it on her.

"You know, when I was sleeping in class today," I could imagine her rolling her eyes with a smile, "I was thinking about our first kiss. Back at Calum's house. I never got to thank you, for being my first kiss. So... so, thank you. And I, I never got to thank you for dating me. I know I wasn't the best boyfriend. I did a lot of stupid shit. I still do stupid shit" I chuckled a bit, holding her hand a little tighter. My eyes caught the stack of paper--the homework she's missed--and I bit my lip, trying to look away.