Chapter 4

Chapter 4

My hands tightened on the sparkling red clutch in my hand. It turns out my mom won this round.

After a long lecture on how I should be grateful for what I have. As usual I felt like a whining brat which my mom wanted. So here I am in a knee length ruby strapless red dress and shiny black stilettos. My blonde hair was neatly pulled up into a bun with a few loose strands.

I had a light touch of mascara and eyeliner matched with a dark shade of red lipstick. Holden's dad always threw these huge charity events that caught a lot of attention from the press.

When Holden and I arrived the press was badgering us with questions. We actually met a block away. No way was I showing him my new place.

"Aubrey there you are."

I turned just as a man with dark brown hair and light silver streaks trapped me in a bear hug. His large forearms squeezed me roughly. I patted his back awkwardly.

"Hello Mr. Clark." I said as I tried pulling away from his embrace

The whole damn family is aggressive. The older man pulled away chuckling as he held me an arm's length away. A wide pearly smile spread across his slightly wrinkled face.

"Are you enjoying the party?" he asked

"Yes she is." Holden answered from beside me

He has been doing this all night, talking for me. Errr this guy is worst than I remember.

"I am Mr. Clark. It's a wonderful thing your doing for the orphanage." I said with a polite smile

Holden's dad is a nice man although he is just as over confident as his son but at least his dad let's me talk.

"Yes well it's my duty as a citizen." he replied perfectly

Duty my ass. Mr. Clark is the mayor and any good press on his part would help for his re-election. He's as crooked as politicians come but he's always so kind to me.

I nodded not knowing what else to say.

Mr. Clark's light brown eyes darted between Holden and I. The old man pulled the sleeves of his black suit.

"How is the teacher thing going?" Mr. Clark asked sounding bored

Teacher thing! I bit the inside of my cheek at the lack of enthusiasm.

"It's going well. I'm hoping to get a student teacher job soon." I replied tightly

He nodded trying hard to keep the smile on his face.

"I can pull a few strings if you'd like. I know some people."

"No thank you." I declined the old man's offer

The last thing I need is to have to owe the Clark's a favor.

"I don't understand why your wasting your talents on such a silly job." Mr. Clark laughed

Funny to hear him say that after he keeps telling the town every little job counts.

"Children are our future." I replied

The old man snorted obviously finding my answer amusing. He sure isn't getting my vote.

I felt a warm hand rest on my shoulder. Looking up I saw Holden's muscular face as he stared at his father with a serious expression. His father cleared his voice, squirming uncomfortably.

"If you'll excuse me I must see to my other guests. It was a pleasure seeing you Aubrey."

Relief filled me as Mr. Clark went over to an older couple. Holden turned me to face him with his hands on my shoulders.