Chapter 9

Enjoy, there is a little surprise!!

*********************

Chapter 9

"Really sweetheart you could use a vacation." my mom said as she brought her glass of wine up to her mouth

This morning after my classes she called me asking if we could go to lunch. It's been awhile since I saw my mom so I said yes. My mom was like the mirror image of me in thirty years.

We had the same blonde hair, mom dies the grays. The same heart shaped mouth, our bodies are the same size except my mom has a larger chest than me. Even our eyes are the same confused blue/green color.

"Mom I can't just go on vacation out of the blue. I have classes, responsibilities."

She huffed like a child. "How about a family trip? Your father and I would love a change."

As much as I'd love a vacation I really can't. I mean first off how am I going to leave Kelly to struggle with the rent and my job which isn't really an issue. It's the middle of the semester so I can't just go away.

My mom leaned her elbows on the table as a pearly white smile spread across her slightly wrinkled face.

"You have always wanted to go to Spain, we can go now." she said as she reached for my hands

Her hands were boney and slightly trembling which is new for my mom. Maybe she is older than I thought.

"I can't mom." I said, she sighed and pulled her hands away

"We can go at the end of the month if you want." I added with a hopeful smile

She crossed her arms over her chest and sucked her teeth like a teenager. I chuckled at her childish reaction. Sometimes I wonder if my parents are really grown up.

"I want to go now." she pouted

"Well I'm sorry but I can't go now." I said mimicking her childish tone

Standing up I grabbed my purse off the table. It was about time I got home before Kelly sends a search party out for me.

This morning she acted so strange, she kept asking me to ditch class and have a girl's day. Even Alex called twice during my classes to 'check in' whatever that means.

"Sweetheart you shouldn't go yet, your father will be joining us shortly." mom stammered in a panicked tone

"Well enjoy your lunch but I have to get home."

"What's your rush?" she asked looking out behind me with her eyes wide like a deer caught in front of headlights

Just as I placed a few bills on the table to cover our lunch my phone rang. Kelly, I showed mom the screen.

"That's my rush."

My mom eased into her seat and gave me a uneasy smile.

"I'm on my way Kelly." I said into the phone

"Where the hell are you, your class ended a two hours ago!"

I bent to my mom and kissed her cheek. "Bye mom."

"Good your with Karen." Kelly breathed out

Walking out of the restaurant and into the breezy spring day with my mom's eyes following my every movement. Why is everyone being so cautious today?

"I just left the restaurant and am heading home." I said as I crossed the street to where the bus was already waiting

"Come straight home." she demanded in a strict voice