Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Aubrey's POV

The tension was thick between Hunter and my friends. Alex stood his ground although the fear that flashed in his eyes was very clear. I have always know Alex to be the tough guy who isn't afraid to get a little bit roughed up except for now.

Kelly who held on to Alex's arm looked at me with a sadness that caused her caramel eyes to warm to a liquid form that made me feel guilty.

"We were so worried about you Aubs." Kelly said as her eyes moistened

"How could you betray me, I thought we were friends?" I replied hurtfully

Hunter caught my hand in his to show his support although he was watching my friends like they would pounce at me at any second. My fingers found his and squeezed gently as a small thank you.

"I'm so sorry Aubs but we didn't have a choice. Holden is our alpha and he said he was sure your his mate. He has been flipping out since you ran away. Throwing furniture, threatening people, he's a wreck." she said

I could see Holden throwing his over dramatic tantrums because he didn't get his way. When we were going out once I wanted to go see a movie while he wanted to go hang with his friends. I told him that I was going to go with or without him so he started whining like a damn three year old.

I'm glad we're over, I thought as I recalled that horrible night of humorless jocks.

"I'm not going back to him Kelly, we're not mates and I am not going to be pushed into being his."

"We didn't come here to bring you back to Holden." she said as she stepped around Alex

In unison Alex stepped in front of Kelly as Hunter did the same to me.

"Cool it mutts I want to talk to her without your sexy bodies in the way." Kelly huffed

I placed my hand on Hunter's shoulder feeling him tense at my touch before relaxing.

"It's okay Hunter." I said as I walked around him

His jaw was clenched as he kept his dark stare on Alex before looking down at me. He nodded giving me his approval but I could see he didn't like this.

Slowly I slipped my hand from his and took a few steps forward so Kelly and I can speak in the middle. Speaking of Kelly she was muttering something to Alex who had a vise-grip on her hand. Kelly shook his hand off and met me with a warm smile.

"I'm not going back to him." I repeated

"Like I said we aren't here to bring you back. Jeez Aubrey you scared the chocolate cream out of me you nut! No one knew where you were, no one saw you and when you didn't come home this morning we had enough."

Kelly raised her arm up but quickly dropped them when Hunter took a step forward. Her eyes were wide as a deer's when its caught in the headlights of a car.

"So Holden didn't send you to look for me?" I asked

"There are a few wolves out looking for you but we came on our own." she answered her attention returning to me

A few? If I am his supposed 'mate' why didn't he get more people to look for me? Or here's a thought how about the lazy, big headed, full of himself, over confident ass get off his high thrown and look for me himself.

But he's not out looking for me because he knows it too, we aren't mates.

"Somehow we knew you'd be with Hunter." Alex said being the first to turn from the staring contest