Chapter 2

The next day started uneventfully.

Jennifer Bunk informed her friends that the boys weren't in today and Chelsea and I had overheard. The news immediately calmed our racing nerves.

We both brought packed lunches and ate in the library, it was so much hassle in the cafeteria. That's where everyone would go and cause drama. We spent our lunches testing each others codes over tuna pasta.

"Dear Chelsea Hanaway and Alison Roe, I formally invite you to attend this year's Computer Science Convention held in the All Saints Convention Center on the third of February at three PM. Kind regards, Derek Wright." Chelsea read out loud.

"That sounds boring." I said with a frown.

"We might meet other people there that know about computers, plus free food!" Chelsea persuaded.

"You only want to go because Aaron Wright will be there."

She narrowed her eyes at me playfully.

"No, I want to go because I know it'll be good for us. I mean we're the best in the town."

I let out a dramatic sigh and slumped my head onto my left arm.

"I'll think about it."

She rolled her eyes at me and stood up to walk to lesson.

****

When the bell went signalling it was time to go home everyone shoved their way out of the school and into their cars.

Chelsea didn't live far away so we walked there, despite the freezing cold weather. Plus I stupidly forgot to take my car this morning. 

The dark grey clouds hung lowly in the sky as the wind whipped the our clothes and hair harshly. Little droplets of rain were hitting our skin as shivers racked through our bodies.

 When we entered her household it felt like we were ice cubes melting in the heat. The crispy fire in the lounge lay before us, Chelsea eagerly ran towards it and outstretched her trembling palms.

"Chelsea? Oh there you are, hi Ally, long time no see honey!"

Ms Hanaway wrapped her arms around me tightly in an embrace before pulling away as if I was on fire.

"You're freezing, you girls go and sit by the fire and I'll make you a hot chocolate." 

We both nodded as we cradled our freezing bodies by the fire. Ms Hanaway suddenly cursed under her breath.

"We're out of milk, and hot chocolate, and marshmallows."

"Shall we go and get some, Ms Hanaway?" 

Chelsea dug her elbow into my ribs and gave me a cold glare.

"No, it's alright. You're cold enough as it is."

"We seriously don't mind. It's only across the road right. Come on Chelsea, don't be lazy."

I stood up from the fire and dragged Chelsea to the door where Mindy had just come in.

The nineteen year old stared at us both in surprise before hugging us tightly. We hadn't seen her in weeks.

"Oh, it's cold out there. Are you on your way out?"

I nodded at her and she flicked her blonde hair over her shoulder.

"Stay safe!" She warned as we locked the door behind us.

We had barely gotten off the front stair before Chelsea huffed.

"And it's dark out. You're too nice for your own good." She moaned.