XV: His Family and Gifts

William

I watch the bird soar into the sky of Gaia.

It was dusk here, and my ship just arrived. We somehow managed to convince a merchant in the harbor to give us shelter for the night, so not to draw attention to ourselves by going to the inn.

Any other time I'd be fine with the attention. I enjoyed meeting my people personally and speaking with them. This was something that never presented the opportunity much as I needed to keep track of them on a broader spectrum most days, which was time-consuming. However, seeing them as individuals every now and again rather than common folk helped me shape my vision for the future of this nation.

We were soon going to follow in the footsteps of Natus.

If only Noah could have seen the kingdom. The gardens were beautiful, the streets much cleaner than here, even their slums were better than many better off villages some islands had here. Sure it helped that King Asher was given Dionysus' blessing, but even without the gold, I knew I could make it possible.

While I was off I brought him back souvenirs. Much simpler things, nothing extravagant like a painting or anything much too expensive. I got him a locket and a book from one of the human villages. I thought he would enjoy hearing the tales our more fragile counterparts told. Although mentally we as species were quite evenly matched, they always somehow seemed to be the more creative and emotional breed. You would think it'd be the opposite, given that we were the ones with the magic, but it has more so inhibited is rather than enhanced us in that department.

The next morning came white quickly, I rose before the sun, watching Apollo begin to guide his chariot across the sky.

I convinced my men to leave me to myself for the day, taking out my peasant clothes so I would not be as easily recognized. For good measure, I wore a cloak over my head as I stepped out into the streets of Hemming.

The merchant, Chris, was kind enough to let me borrow a horse, and I rode off towards the direction of my mate's home.

Within a few hundred feet I was able to smell him and followed it over to him.

I knock on the wooden door and wait as footsteps approach from the other side.

"How can I help you?" an older version of Noah, with grating hair asks.

"Hello, sir. I work as an assistant in the library, and I saw what happened last week. I just wanted to give the man another book he left on the recreation table, without putting away. He seemed to have been in a hurry to leave and in the middle of it." I reply, in a much meeker tone, slouching.

"Of course. Come in. They're in the study." his father motions me into the house then up a flight of stairs, stopping at a mahogany door.

"Noah you have a visitor, they work for the library."

With that, he goes back down the staircase to his wife and leaves me to enter the study.

"How may I- William!" Noah exclaims, launching himself into my arms.

I chuckle, setting him back on his feet, laying a chaste kiss on his lips, pressing our foreheads together.

"A week and a half was a little long to leave mate alone don't you think?" I question, humor twinkling in both our eyes.

"Much too long, Your Highness." he replies, corners of his mouth twitching as he visibly tried to contain his laughter.