XXVII: A Mating Ritual

Noah

"Must I?" I question, staring warily at the veil.

"He has to wear one also."

I sigh, allowing her to pin it into my hair, and feel the weight of the headpiece being placed on top of it.

"How do you all expect us to walk in there without tripping?" I question.

"Your father will guide you, and his mother will guide him. The high priestess of Hera will request you both to lift your own and you'll be face to face with him. Just follow her instructions and listen for your cues and you'll do just fine."

I nod, lifting the veil to get a better look at myself. According to my lessons in human rituals, this would be their equivalent to being married. The marking must be the equivalent to a proposal. The only difference was that as we mostly did ours for love, they did this for a business transaction. They are truly weird creatures. Of course, we all were once one, but their branch seems to come off the more violent and strange.

My father steps into the room, looking me over before smiling, clapping me on the shoulder.

"You're mother got to walk your brothers, I'm happy I get that honor now." he says.

"The only difference is that you are marrying me in front of the most important people in the kingdom."

"Exactly. I get to gloat about it for the rest of our lives."

This made me laugh. My parents always were competitive with one another, constantly trying to one-up the other when parenting is, and seeing as mother has been in the lead due to my brothers' mates both only being left with a father, this was my father's come back.

The two would compete to the death, I was sure of it.

"It's time," Ramos says, peeking his head in before going back out into the hall.

I put the veil back in front of my face, and link my arm to my father's as he guides me to the ceremony.

"You know, my threats still stand even after today. The second he slips up he's gone."

"I'm sure that won't be necessary Pa," I tell him. "Now, will you hush down? I don't want the guards to try to apprehend you the day of my mating ritual."

He gives out a booming laugh that makes me smile instantly. You don't realize how much you miss the sound of someone's laughter until you haven't heard it in a while.

"How are things here at the palace? We haven't seen you in so long," he says, after a few seconds of silence between the both of us.

"It's hectic, but I'm getting used to the royal side of these walls. I know, I've made a stop in Hemming on our tour though, so we will definitely see you then." I assure him.

"Have you both discussed children yet?" he questions.

It was his way of asking "When do I get to cut off the King's balls?".

"Yes. We are going to adopt after the tour." 

He nods, satisfied with my answer, and we finally reach the ceremony. 

Rugs are laid down on the grass of Hera's garden leading to a raised platform where the high priestesses of Hera, Hestia, and Aphrodite stand, draped in the traditional robes the colors of their respective goddesses.

Pa stands us next to William and his mother, I grab his left hand as instructed as the four of us make our way down the aisle. At the end, our parents both help us onto the lower half of the platform before letting go, off to their seats at the side of the platform with the rest of our families.