I'm Never The One- Chapter 27

Damon's POV

I walk into the Boarding House loft where Stefan is blaring music. He's alternating pushups on the hardwood and pull ups on the banisters.

"Could you turn it up more?" I ask, referring to the music. "It's not annoying yet."

Stefan groans and rolls over on the floor, stopping his insane workout session. "Sorry."

I nod and switch off the music so we can talk. "When are you going back to school, Stef?"

"Soon," he answers gruffly, returning to his push ups.

I sigh and crouch in front of him, so we're almost eye level. "Just have some blood already. Self-detox is unnatural and will fail you, brother."

Stefan shakes his head, his gaze flickering from my glass to the dusty floor. "Can you get that away from me please?" He chokes on the please.

"How long did it take you to wean off last time you fell off the wagon?" I ask, standing back up so the glass is away from him like he requested.

He doesn't answer.

"That's reassuring," I say annoyed.

"It just takes time." Stefan stops his push ups and sits on the floor with his arms resting on his knees.

"Stefan, this is what blood banks are for. I haven't killed a human in... too long," I say.

"I'm impressed," Stefan says sarcastically. "What are you doing about the tomb vampires anyway?"

I grin. "We can't do anything without your strength. There is nothing wrong with blood banks. No one dies."

"I have my reasons," Stefan says, justifying his out of whack diet.

"Okay, what are those holier than thou reasons?"

Stefan glares at me. "You're really enjoying this, aren't you?"

"I love seeing you struggle," I reply.

"Hate to break it to you," Stefan says. "I have this under control."

I shake my head. "Oh, I know." I leave my glass of blood on the night stand and walk towards the door.

I can feel Stefan's eyes trained on the glass without even turning around.

Before he can slip up, I go back to the night stand and snatch up the crystal glass. "Almost forgot," I lie, gesturing to the glass. I drink it in front of him then walk out.

Let's see how long he can resist.

Kaitlyn's POV

"I'm leaving, Jeremy and Elena!" I yell up the stairwell. We have school today and we're running late as usual.

I walk over to the door and swing it open. The hinges creak like always. I'm just going to wait for them in the car.

That's when I see my uncle poised at the door. He looks like he was about to knock.

John smiles widely. "Kaitlyn!" he exclaims, acknowledging me. At least he can tell Elena and I apart for once.

"Uncle John," I say grimly. How I do hate my uncle.

"Jenna," he says, looking past me.

I turn around to see my aunt looking pissed. I'm with her on this one. No one likes unwelcomed visits from my dad's brother.

"John, you made it," she says. By the menace in her voice you can tell she hoped he would have died on the trip here.

"I said I'd be here before noon." It's a hell of a lot earlier than noon.