I'm Never The One- Chapter 35

Kaitlyn's POV

I overlook the crowd in the town square as Mayor Lockwood prepares the annual fireworks on the stage. Stefan stands to my left while Elena is positioned to my right. Both seem at edge with each other. I smile over at my sister as she too is watching the firework preparation intently.

I nudge her in the ribs lightly. "Do you remember how mom and dad would drag us out of the house right before the fireworks began to watch them from our porch? It never was the best view, but seeing them from home made the whole tradition seem more-"

"Sentimental," Elena suppies, a smile slipping from her lips. "This is the first year actually seeing them from the town square."

She frowns and I sling an arm around her shoulder. I hug her sideways trying to comfort her. "I'm sure they won't mind us breaking the tradition."

Elena nods and breaks from my hold, shuffling away a bit. I look over in Stefan's direction to see Damon approaching from behind him. Stefan senses my unease and turns around to meet his brother.

"What's wrong?" I ask, the question flying from my lips. Damon's concerned expression has me on edge.

Damon grabs my arm and starts pulling me away from the crowd. Stefan and Elena follow right behind us. "Saving your life. Fifteen words or less... Tomb vamps are here. Founding families are their target." He turns around to speak to Stefan and releases my arm. "Get her out of here, now!"

Damon then starts to walk away from us. Stefan runs after him and stalls him. "Wait, where are you going?"

Damon chuckles. "That's more than fifteen words, Stefan." He then leaves without another remark.

Elena freezes up and yells to get Stefan's attention. "Stefan! Jeremy is out there somewhere."

Stefan nods and beckons for us to follow him. "Let's go find him, come on!"

I follow behind Stefan, also fearing for Jeremy's safety. Before we even get far, Stefan clutches his head and collapses on the pavement. I rush to his side with Elena not far behind me.

"Stefan, what's happening?" I ask, out of breath.

Stefan groans and rolls over to look at the sky. His eyes gaze past mine. "My head."

"What?" Elena squeals.

"My head!" Stefan screams, scaring Elena away from him. I don't even flinch.

I turn away from Stefan to see a deputy running towards us. Oh, no. I stand up ready to fight him if necessary. Luckily, Alaric intervenes and the deputy runs off.

Alaric races over to us and starts lifting Stefan up. I help carry him while Elena stands idly by.

Elena goes into hysterics as she follows us. "I don't know what happened. He just dropped!"

Alaric nods and we continue to support Stefan so we can get him to safety. "He's not the only one. The cops are rounding up anyone who's down and injecting them with vervain."

"What?" I ask stupidly, but I don't want Alaric to be right. If more vampires are dropping than just Stefan that means Damon's in trouble.

We lead Stefan over to a wall and he sits down exhausted. I shake my hands trying to get some feeling into them.

"Are you okay?" Elena asks Stefan, kneeling in front of him.

I stay standing, letting my thoughts run rapid.

Alaric begins talking and I focus on what he's saying half-heartedly. "I saw at least five vampires go down. They're taking them to your family's old building."